One dead, 19 injured after car plows into crowd of counter-protesters following ‘Unite the Right’ rally

Charlottesville police arrest driver

<p>Police have blocked off the intersection of 4th Street and Water Street.&nbsp;</p>

Police have blocked off the intersection of 4th Street and Water Street. 

One person is dead and 19 people are injured after a car plowed through a crowd of counter-protesters in the aftermath of Saturday’s “Unite the Right” rally downtown.

Charlottesville Police have arrested the driver, but have not released the man’s name.

At a press conference Saturday evening, Charlottesville Police Chief Al Thomas said the victim was a 32-year-old woman, but her identity is not being released until her net of kin is notified. He said this is being treated as a homicide investigation. 

The injuries range from minor to life-threatening, according to Virginia State Police spokesperson Corinne Geller. She also said some of the injured refused to be transported.

“Charlottesville Fire and EMS responded immediately to the scene and began transporting various individuals in the crowd,” Geller said. “We have a number of witnesses who actually saw it happen.”

Officials say three vehicles were involved in the incident.

A video circulating on social media depicted a gray Dodge Charger traveling at a high speed towards pedestrians on 4th Street. 

Geller said following the three-car “chain reaction” crash, one car fled the scene while the other two remained. The first car has since been located.

Law enforcement officials have since blocked off the scene.

“I am heartbroken that a life has been lost here,” Charlottesville Mayor Mike Signer tweeted on Saturday afternoon. “I urge all people of good will — go home.” 

This article has been updated with additional details from Saturday evening's press conference.