U.Va. cancels classes due to inclement weather

Services modified after announcement of snow day

<p>Students enjoyed the snow day on the Lawn.&nbsp;</p>

Students enjoyed the snow day on the Lawn. 

Patrick D. Hogan, executive vice president and chief operating officer, announced the cancellation of classes in a mass email to the University community early Wednesday morning, following a night of snow showers.

According to the National Weather Service, Charlottesville received four inches of snow fall. 

The University’s Office of Safety and Emergency Preparedness updated its Operation Status Board with several modifications to University services. 

All dining service location hours were modified, with Observatory Hill Dining Hall, Newcomb and Runk operating from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., closing one hour earlier than normal. Many locations such as Chick Fil-A, Five Guys, Subway, N2GO and In the Nood were closed the entire day. 

UTS bus routes were been modified to run only from 2:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. A special route provided services to North Grounds, Barracks Road, Central Grounds, Jefferson Park Ave. and the Hospital. 

All recreation facilities closed for the snow day, with the exceptions of the Aquatic & Fitness Center and North Grounds Recreation Center. 

Except for Clemons Library, all libraries were closed. 

Home athletic events — including softball and baseball games against Towson University — were cancelled.