Gilmore to review call for removal

Gov. James S. Gilmore III (R) has not yet seen a resolution directed to him by the Virginia State Conference NAACP, calling for the removal of Terence P. Ross from the University's Board of Visitors, but he is expected to consider the resolution within the next few days.

Gilmore Deputy Press Secretary Lila Young declined to comment about how the governor may react to the resolution, but acknowledged that Gilmore has the power to remove Ross from his position if he deems it necessary.

The NAACP passed a resolution Saturday calling for Ross' removal from the Board because of his recent comment that the University is "clearly in some cases reaching a little bit down our academic standards" when admitting black students.

Young also declined to comment about the possible effect of a recent 4th U.S. Circuit Court case, which declared unconstitutional an Arlington County, Va., elementary magnet school's use of race in a lottery system of admissions.

Young pointed to Gilmore's statements during his 1997 campaign as evidence of his stance on using race as a factor in admissions at Virginia colleges and universities.

"When it comes to selecting a young person for admission, the decision should be colorblind; the most capable person should gain admission," Gilmore said in a 1997 campaign statement. "But affirmative efforts should be made to expand the applicant pool as much as possible through the recruitment of greater numbers of minority students."

Ross has said the University's lawyers have told him that using race in admissions will be legally indefensible if challenged. He also has said that admission to a university should have nothing to do with race or ethnicity. He supports a proposed summer program designed to level the playing field for disadvantaged children by inviting them to study at the University over the summer.

Calling for the continued implementation of current admissions policies, the Black Leadership Council announced yesterday that it will encourage a "proactive" stance in support of diversity at the University by asking students to wear black clothing to the Virginia Tech football game Saturday. The Council is an association of black student groups, including the Black Student Alliance and the Black Fraternal Council.

BSA Director of Issues Brandi Colander said she hopes the display will show "cohesiveness among the student body as a whole."

BSA President Kazz Pinkard said the idea has been in the works for a long time, even before recent events heightened tensions between the NAACP and the Board.

Meanwhile, plans for a student demonstration on the Lawn Oct. 4 and 5 are advancing. Advocates for Diversity in Education will conduct the "October Camp" protest with exercises to educate students about the need to maintain race as a factor in admissions, including speeches, discussions, a poetry session and music performances.

"We have a diverse society. We have to learn to exist in that," organizer Stephanie Taylor said. "I think that Gov. Gilmore is in a difficult position. I hope that he will give a fair hearing to both sides and I hope he will bring political impartiality to the situation"