Gilmore declines to discharge Ross

Gov. James S. Gilmore III (R) said in a letter yesterday that he does not have the power to remove Board member Terence P. Ross from the University's Board of Visitors despite a request from the Virginia State Conference of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

"Members of college boards are appointed for four-year terms and do not serve at the will of the Governor under Virginia law," the letter states.

In the letter, Gilmore said he remains "strongly committed to equal opportunity and I believe any form of discrimination is wrong."

The letter also stated that the governor does not dictate the admissions policies of Virginia's policies of colleges and universities. "Nor does the Governor dictate college admissions policies. That is a matter determined by the colleges' governing boards in consultation with their respective presidents. The University of Virginia's Board of Visitors and President [John T.] Casteen have the responsibility to develop an admissions policy that is legal and ensures educational opportunity for students of all races," the letter states.

Casteen said earlier this month that the University should maintain its commitment to equal opportunity in its admissions policies.

Gilmore's letter encouraged the members of the NAACP to communicate with the Board and Casteen.

"I hope you and other leaders of the NAACP will sit down with President Casteen and members of the University's Board to engage in a constructive dialogue and to review creative options for developing solutions to the challenge of ensuring educational opportunity for all people," the letter states.

"My guess is that both groups would gain by working together and that each would learn useful things from the other," Casteen said yesterday.

Board Secretary Alexander "Sandy" Gilliam said he is sure the Board will discuss the current controversy over admissions policies at the Oct. 14 meeting.

However, Gilliam said under the exemptions listed in the Virginia Freedom of Information Act, the issue can be discussed in a closed executive session.

"The issue is not currently on the Board's draft agenda - on the other hand if the Rector [John P. Ackerly III] feels that the time is right he can make adjustments in the agenda," Casteen said. "I think he may find the Governor's statement a useful place to start."

Equal Opportunity Programs Director Karen Holt said "anything that could be done that means people are sitting down and talking about it" is positive and "a way to have a constructive dialogue" concerning the admissions policy.

Paul M. Gaston, a history professor originally involved in the University's desegregation movement, said he disagreed with Gilmore's statement that the Board, NAACP and Casteen should discuss "creative options for developing solutions" to ensure educational opportunity.

"We need no options to our current policies," Gaston said.

Mojisola Olaniyan, University faculty member and Charlottesville branch NAACP president, said "a discussion will not begin unless you clear the table. Mr. Ross' comment was offensive to an average black person."