From snapper to savior: Rivers surprises in first start

When Virginia quarterback Dan Ellis was diagnosed with a concussion during halftime against Florida State last week, Cavalier fans got scared. For all the criticism Ellis had received, were things about to

get worse? Could third-year backup David Rivers actually come out and play well? And what would happen if he actually had to start against the Yellow Jackets?

Over the past week, many people questioned how well Virginia could do against the No. 7 team in the country with an untested, unproven backup under center. And even the people who felt Rivers could step up into the new role thought he would spend the entire game handing the ball to running back Thomas Jones.

Boy, were we in for a surprise.

Rivers, who finished the game with 228 passing yards and three touchdowns, looked calm and comfortable during Virginia's 45-38 victory over Georgia Tech. In fact, he looked like he was exactly where he wanted to be.

"I came here with a goal, and my goal is still to be the starting quarterback," Rivers said. "I have faith in my tools and my ability."

But many fans weren't so sure, especially after Rivers went 0-3 in passing and threw one interception in the first quarter as Georgia Tech jumped out to a 17-0 lead. But even under those adverse conditions, Rivers said he just tried to stay relaxed.

"After that first quarter, I said it can't get much worse than this," he said. "Let's just go out there and start having fun and playing football."

In addition to being Rivers' first collegiate start, the game was particularly important given his past history with Georgia Tech. A native of Augusta, Ga., Rivers grew up as a Rambling Wreck fan and came close to playing football there.

"Quincy Carter and I were both heavily recruited by Georgia Tech," Rivers said. "But then Quincy decided to go play baseball and I decided to go to Virginia. I definitely looked very hard at them though, but then I backed out and came here."

At Virginia, Rivers was relegated to a backup role behind Dan Ellis, with first-years Bryson Spinner and Matt Schaub seemingly poised to step up and compete for the starting spot when Ellis leaves. Rivers usually serves as the Cavs' long snapper.

"I decided my second year that this is the place where I'm staying," he said. "I just kept putting work in and going to the weight room. It's been a dream of mine."

And against Georgia Tech, he got to have part of that dream come true.

"It was amazing," Cav offensive lineman Noel LaMontagne said. "It was great to be part of it. For Dave to go in there so green and to come out like a seasoned veteran, it was incredible. There was a lot of pressure out there for him, and he did a great job."

But even with the impressive performance, Virginia Coach George Welsh said after the game that he could not specify which quarterback will start next week. Most likely, that decision will come after a week of practice.

Posting such a solid performance and then being told you might not play when the regular starter returns might discourage some, but Rivers said he looks at it differently.

"I don't think it's going to change much," he said. "I think I'm just going to enjoy this for a little bit and not worry about next week yet. We'll just go in there [today] and discuss the game and let the Coach decide from there."