Harris maintains Assembly seat

As part of a historic Republican capture of the Virginia General Assembly, Del. Paul Harris (R-58) was reelected last night to his second, two-year term.

At about 9 p.m., Harris victoriously told the crowd of several hundred supporters gathered at the Boar's Head Inn outside Charlottesville that "we've done it again."

Harris won with 59 percent of the vote.

Democratic challenger Ed Wayland only garnered 41 percent.

Harris said repeatedly last night that he won the election, in contrast to Wayland's tactics, without negative campaigning.

"We've lead a strong, hard, tough campaign," he said. "We've never given way to negative campaigning and mudslinging."

In his victory speech last night, Harris told supporters to recognize the importance of "winning with a sense of dignity."

Positive campaigning and government, such as that which Harris said he practiced during his run for delegate, are what the nation needs, he said.

"Character, integrity and morality is the future of Virginia and is the future of America," he added.

Harris Legislative Assistant Jo Viglione said the largest obstacles the Harris campaigner faced were the attacks on his voting record aired by Wayland supporters.

"Our biggest problem was some of the misleading information that our opponent was putting out," Viglione said. "We had to make sure people were not being misinformed by the misleading information."

Harris said last night's Republican takeover of the General Assembly made his win even more important, as well as making the upcoming legislative session an exciting one.

"There must be a more cordial, cooperative atmosphere than Democrats allowed during their long years of one-party control," he said. "As Republicans, we should not use this opportunity as a way to take revenge for the way the Democrats have treated us."

While the Virginia Republican Party saw huge, historic victories last night, Harris said he was disappointed that Jane Maddux, the Republican challenger defeated by incumbent State Sen. Emily Couric, (D-Charlottesville), did not win her election.

The "victory for me is bittersweet," he said.

"It's always good to win, but it's bittersweet because my friend did not win this election," he added.

Harris said he plans to pursue several issues in the General Assembly.

One issue he said he will pursue is that of returning Virginia State lottery money to school districts allowing local officials to disperse the money where it is seen as most needed.

Transportation, mental health reforms and long-term care issues also are key issues, to him, Harris said.

Harris' goals illustrate his standing policy to focus on quality over quantity in legislation, Harris Campaign Manager Bill Janis said.