Welsh urges football team to retain focus

Following last Saturday's upset of then-No. 7 Georgia Tech, the Cavalier football team will try to keep its momentum this Saturday against Buffalo. Despite Buffalo's 0-9 record and Saturday's loss to Division 1-AA Hofstra, the Cavs aren't looking past the Bulls.

"I'm not going to say it's a bye week," Cavalier linebacker Shannon Taylor said. "We're going to look to get after them early and not take them lightly. Earlier in the year, we had a letdown with Duke and we should have won that game."

Virginia Coach George Welsh said the team needs to go out this week and continue to practice hard.

"We don't practice with enough intensity all the time -- maybe that's why it shows up in games," Welsh said. "We can't seem to generate enough enthusiasm, which helps the intensity level. I keep talking to them about that. We've had weeks out there where we've been pretty good, but not every week and not all the time."

The Cavaliers go into the week not knowing who will start against the Bulls. Third-year quarterback Dan Ellis still is feeling the effects of the concussion he suffered against Florida State two weeks ago.

"I don't know yet," Welsh said of his quarterback decision. "I want to make sure Ellis is okay. I'll decide [today] or Wednesday. I don't know what I'm going to base it on."

Whether Ellis or third-year David Rivers -- who played well in his first career start against Georgia Tech -- gets the nod Saturday, most of the offensive burden will be on the shoulders of Thomas Jones. The fourth-year Heisman Trophy candidate leads the nation in rushing with 165 yards per game and should have a field day against Buffalo's defense, ranked third-to-last in Division 1-A against the run.

The Cavs, however, aren't taking anything for granted.

"The sense of urgency is still there," Cav offensive lineman Noel LaMontagne said. "You can't go into any of these games lackadaisical. This is the last time we get to play in front of the crowd in Charlottesville -- it's going to be a great moment."

On offense, the Bulls will rely on wide receiver Drew Haddad, who leads the team with 67 catches. Taylor mentioned Haddad and quarterback Joe Freedy as two players Virginia will have to guard against.

The Buffalo and Virginia coaches said they share their players' sense that this game might not be the blowout some might anticipate.

"I think respect is a good word," Welsh said. "Otherwise we'll have bad practices, and it'll get worse, and who knows when we show up on Saturday."

But Buffalo Coach Craig Cirbus said that he thinks Welsh is looking more at the team's play overall than focusing just on the contest with the Bulls.

"I think what he's doing is trying to develop this team fundamentally," Cirbus said. "They don't do a lot on defense -- there's not all-out blitzing. Their offense is basic fundamental football. They're probably looking down the road."

The Cavaliers, who were flying high after the Georgia Tech victory, have their feet back on the ground and are viewing the Buffalo game as a must-win.

"With our schedule, if we win the next two, we should be in a bowl game," Taylor said. "We've had the toughest schedule in the country, so I feel really good about our situation. We're just looking to finish out the rest of the year strong"