Bill on student BOV reps heads to House

A bill requiring student representation on the boards of visitors of all public colleges and universities in Virginia gained the approval of the full Senate Tuesday by a 22-17 vote and has sparked discussion among University students.

The bill, which was drafted more than two weeks ago, gives student members the right to sit in, listen and participate in board discussions but prohibits them from voting -- the same privileges the University's student Board member now enjoys.

In the Feb. 1 edition of The Cavalier Daily, University Board member Benjamin Warthen said Board members talk about and address all types of issues in front of student Board members.

Several of these issues include lawsuits, salaries and job evaluations.

The University has had a student Board member representing the student body for over 15 years. Only four other state colleges have student members on their boards.

Several University students, including Robert Schoenvogel, student member to the University's Board, said they feel this new legislation will greatly benefit students across the Commonwealth.

"I obviously think it's beneficial for the University to have a member on the board," Schoenvogel said. "The Board often times deals with issues that have a direct effect on students."

He said there are some issues for which it is vital to have a student participating in the discussions.

"It is a good idea to have a student there, to get a student's perspective," he added.

Christie Amberman, Student Council chief of staff, said she shares similar sentiments with Schoenvogel.

"I am very enthusiastic about the bill passing," Amberman said. "It is a very important consideration to have a perspective from students, who see the problems that elder alumni might not."

Although many students have welcomed the legislation with open arms, the bill has been criticized for invading on the territory of the governor.

That was one of the key arguments that brought about such a close decision in the Senate Committee on Education and Health -- which passed the bill with a close 8-7 vote.

Even after Senate approval, the House of Delegates still needs to approve the bill before it goes in front of Gov. James S. Gilmore III (R) for authorization.

University Rector John P. Ackerly III said while the bill will not directly affect the University, "I don't know why a state college or university wouldn't want to have a student member represent them."

If the bill is approved by the House and the governor, then 13 state college and university boards will require student seats.

"It is a great step forward for Virginia state colleges," Amberman said.