Police find weapon from U-Circle case

Charlottesville Police said yesterday they believe they found the weapon used in the alleged armed robbery on University Circle Friday night.

A resident of the 300 block of 14th Street found the weapon in his yard, at which time the resident contacted police, Charlottesville Police Det. Blaine Cosgro said.

Friday's incident occurred outside 41 University Circle at approximately 10:40 p.m., when police said two black males held two male University students at gunpoint and robbed them of their wallets as they walked home to 14th Street.

Police apprehended Bryan Page, a 29-year-old black male, shortly after the incident. Both victims identified Page as the gunman.

Police still are searching for the second suspect.

Cosgro said police will conduct lab tests on the weapon, which follows policy in all investigations, in an attempt to determine whether it was used in the Friday incident.

Police are investigating whether the incident or the confiscated weapon are in any way related to a Feb. 23 robbery that occurred at Lambeth Field Apartments.

In that incident, two masked men allegedly entered a Lambeth suite, tied up its four male occupants and robbed them of their wallets and a watch.

The Lambeth victims described the two suspects as stocky, six-foot tall black males. They wore black sweaters and dark pants and had their faces covered.

While no one has been apprehended in relation to the Lambeth incident, Page is under investigation for both crimes and currently is being held without bail on two felony counts of armed robbery and two felony counts of using a firearm during the commission of an armed robbery.

Page has a preliminary hearing scheduled for April 27.

Asst. Dean of Students Aaron Laushway said this incident should remind students to exercise caution and protect themselves.