Goodell to help student groups with philanthropy, leadership

After a four-month search a committee of students and administrators has selected Stephanie Goodell of Millersville University to fill Dean Michelle Samuels's position as Assistant Dean of Students.

Goodell will leave her position as Coordinator of Student Programs at Millersville and begin work at the University Aug. 1.

Goodell, who has worked closely with Greek life while at Millersville, a central Pennsylvania school with 6,500 undergraduates, said she hopes to continue to interact closely with students when she comes to Grounds.

She said she plans to help develop leadership programs for students, assist them in planning philanthropy events and make the Office of the Dean of Students more approachable.

Related Links
  • Millersville University Homepage
  •  

She added that she would like students to see her as a resource they can use when planning a community service event, but admitted this can be difficult at times.

"Students are so independent that it is hard for them to ask for help," Goodell said.

She said she would be able to help students work out details of an event and then follow through on the plan.

Fourth-year College student Michael McPheeters, who served on the search committee to fill the position, said he thinks Goodell will adapt easily to the University community.

"She brims with creativity and eagerness to work within student self-governance," McPheeters said.

Goodell, a Norfolk, Va. native, received her Bachelor's degree in speech and theater from Western Carolina University and her Master's degree in college student personnel from the University of Tennessee.

Dean Samuels said she is relocating to the New Jersey/New York area after spending 11 years at the University so she may advance professionally and be closer to her family.