Charlottesville Del. Harris addresses enthusiastic GOP crowd in Philadelphia

PHILADELPHIA -- After being introduced amid a blare of music from a colonial-style fife and drum band, Virginia General Assembly Del. Paul Harris (R-58) emphasized the importance of education and seizing opportunities while addressing the Republican National Convention Monday night.

Harris shared details from his personal history with the delegates, alternates, media and guests, saying that while his mother struggled to raise her family, she "said no to welfare - instead she worked three jobs."

He said his mother taught him one of his most valuable lessons in life when she said to him as a child, "Don't curse the darkness, son. Light a candle."

He added that he feels the Republican Party offers the best chance for disadvantaged people to work their way out of poverty.

Related Links
  • Del. Harris' Bio
  •  

Harris, who occupies the seat once held by Thomas Jefferson in the House of Delegates, commented on "how far we have come in America in the last 224 years" since the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

But he said more work still needs to be done to achieve his vision for the country.

"Opportunity should be available to all Americans," he added, regardless of race or economic status.

Harris decried the "categorization" of children in schools.

"Low standards and low expectations may be the liberal prescription for America's children, but we Republicans know better," he said.

Harris' speech was well-received by the audience, which applauded enthusiastically throughout the address.

Del. Jay Katzen (R-31), who represents Warrenton and has declared his candidacy for the 2001 lieutenant governor's race, said he was delighted by Harris' speech.

"I think he's a wonderful guy and he gave a great message," Katzen said.

Harris also has been mentioned as a possible lieutenant governor candidate.

Virginia Secretary of Education Wilbert Bryant said he agrees that the same opportunities should be available to all children in America, regardless of their economic or racial status.

"We must make sure no child is left behind," Bryant said.

Larry J. Sabato, government and foreign affairs professor, said the appearance of Harris - who is black - helped to "encourage diversity" within the Republican party.

Sabato said he had expected Harris to share details of his life during his speach.

"That's what this convention is ... one good string of compelling life stories," he said.

Harris concluded his remarks by endorsing GOP candidate Texas Gov. George W. Bush.

The Republican Party, with Bush at the helm, will have the "courage to light a candle in the darkness," he said.

As President, Bush can secure "America's future of unlimited hope," he added.