Student falls from Lefevre dorm window

A male University student remained hospitalized yesterday after falling from a second-story window in Lefevre House Saturday, police said.

He "was sitting on the windowsill ... and fell out," University Police Sgt. Mike Gibson said.

The student landed on the stairway on the south side of the building and suffered trauma to his head, police said.

The student apparently had consumed alcohol that afternoon, but Gibson said he did not know how much he had drunk.

He was transported to University Hospital and remained there yesterday, but Gibson did not know his condition.

The incident was reported at 7:59 p.m. Saturday.

University Police Sgt. Tom Durrer said he could not release the student's name until his parents were notified of the incident.

Assoc. Dean of Students Angela M. Davis, who was the dean on call this weekend, said the Office of the Dean of Students normally takes action in alcohol-related incidents.

"We always talk with students when there are incidents with alcohol use," Davis said.

But because the student is still in the hospital, she said his recovery takes priority over addressing the incident, although at this time it is uncertain what role alcohol may have played in the incident.

This is the second incident this semester in which a student fell out of a window after consuming alcoholic beverages.

First-year Engineering student William Donovan jumped from a second-story window at Chi Phi fraternity Sept. 23 during a party. Donovan also was treated at University Hospital for nose, cheek and rib injuries.