Ceasing to wonder at women world-shapers

THE MOST surprising yet least surprising thing said was, "No, really, we're sick of being first!" It's no wonder. They were the first mom in space, the first president of the WNBA, the first African-American woman at the law school, the only woman in the med school class, the only prominent female spokesperson for the Palestinian cause, one of the few female Admirals. These women are the pathmakers, and last Thursday they were honored as "Shapers of the World" by the University's Women's Center.

Along with shapers, they should be called re-shapers. Not only are they making decisions that will change the world, they are also reshaping minds. Lying within the discussions of "women's issues" were hints of a new mindset. Instead of referring to topics such as child care, elder care and family leave solely in the context of women, they talked about "family issues," "social issues" and "citizen issues." This is one more way these women seek to level the playing field, and one of the most important concepts any man or woman should have taken away from the conference.

Elaine Jones, the first African-American woman at U.Va.'s law school, spoke of meeting the other 10 female students to talk about the day - the comments, the strange looks they had gotten answering questions in class. Elaine said she would think "aha ... so that's gender ... the rest must be race!" Jones is not only a woman, she is African-American, one of the nation's top civil rights lawyers and a mother.

Katherine Thornton, the first "space mom" and the Director of the Center for Science Education at the University, said she spent part of her time at NASA convincing them that women are not small men. None of the space suits fit when NASA made men's sizes shorter. The trick, she said, was knowing when to remind them that women have hips, and when to remember that if she doesn't fit the clothes, they could find someone else who would. Along with hips, Thornton also has a successful career and remembers the way the earth looked from afar.

Hanan Ashrawi, the secretary general of MIFTAH (The Palestinian Institute for the Promotion of Dialogue and Democracy), said that more than once she's been accused of irresponsible mothering. She knew she would be putting her life in danger through her work, so she asked her two young daughters what they thought. Mature beyond their years, they agreed to "give mom to the peace process for a little while, so she can come back and be mom later." Ten years later she's still fighting for the cause, and she's fighting those who say she should choose between her beliefs and her family.

These amazing people, students and some other awe-struck onlookers mingled early Thursday morning. Looking around the Rotunda, I was struck by something. The room was full of women - women discussing politics, peace, the challenges facing the world today and hopes for the future. My immediate thought was "wow, weird," but then another thought stuck me - why is it weird? What if it wasn't?

What if it didn't take a "women's day" to fill a panel on social justice and human rights with talented women? What if these women weren't the first, but were one of a long series of distinguished scientists, doctors or lawyers? Would so much of the day's conversation have centered around "women's issues"?

In the final panel of the day, all the distinguished alumnae were asked to give the new president of the United States a piece of advice. Admiral Stratton began hers in a way appropriate to the conference's sub-theme. She asked the president to see her as a complete person - the sum of her overlapping roles - and not pigeonhole her into one particular character.

Thornton said it best in response to a question about "women's issues": calling concerns like child care, elder care and health "women's issues" excuses half of the adult population. Sure, women care, but we all should. Caring for a daughter or son is a family issue. Caring for an aged parent is a family issue. Caring for each other should be a citizen issue.

These women should be respected for the doors they opened for the rest of us, but they should also be thanked for the world those doors open into. It is not a place where people are seen as "woman" or "man" first, but a place where ability is the most important thing. If it means an all-female science and technology panel, fine. But one day a student who attends won't think it's odd. She - or he - will think it's normal.

This next generation of leaders is fast approaching. Last week, at the same time these pioneers of equality were telling us their stories, another group was pioneering without even knowing it. The kids of the Youth Leadership Initiative voted in the largest mock election ever, pioneering the use of the Internet for elections. The group probably didn't realize that 80 years earlier, half of them wouldn't have had the chance to vote - mock or real. The fact that their voting didn't seem odd or weird is a victory in itself. One day one of those girls might be sitting on a panel, not having faced any challenges to success because of her gender, and her presence won't seem "weird." My only hope is that she still shapes the world and doesn't forget who led the way.

(Emily Harding's column appears Wednesdays in The Cavalier Daily.)