Dirks wins coveted Marshall accolade

After graduation, at least one University student will leave Jefferson's Academical Village to study in the historic halls of Oxford, all expenses paid.

Fourth-year government major Katie Dirks recently received a prestigious Marshall scholarship, which will allow her to earn a master's degree in international relations at Oxford University over the next two years.

The British government finances 40 Marshall scholarships each year to enable American students to further their studies at British institutions. The program was established in 1953 as a British gesture of thanks for American aid stemming from the post-World War II Marshall Plan.

Marshall scholars demonstrate academic and intellectual superiority, strong leadership and global citizenship, said Kim Canavan Jones, British Council scholarships and exchanges officer.

"This is a program that hopes to make an impact on future leaders," Jones said. "We hope to see these people again."

Around 1,000 applicants compete each year for the scholarships, which mark the largest such program for Americans studying in Britain, Jones said.

Dirks, who is from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, said Oxford's global environment will be a great place to study. She hopes to eventually pursue a career in the field of immigration policy.

"Oxford has a particularly international environment, at least among graduate students," she said.

Shocked at receiving the award, Dirks said she wasn't planning to apply until shortly before the deadline. A few encouraging professors led her to apply, she added.

"I got a kick in the pants when I needed one," Dirks said.

University President John T. Casteen III said a Marshall scholarship bestows a great honor on the entire University. Of the two most prestigious post-graduate scholarships, the Marshall and the Rhodes, Marshall scholarships are far less common, Casteen said.

"She deserves tremendous credit for her accomplishments in winning the Marshall," he said.

Fourth-year College student and fellow Lawn resident Corrie Hall said she believes Dirks to be a very deserving scholarship recipient.

"I cannot say too many great things about Katie," Hall said. "None of us were really surprised that she got it. She will represent the U.S. very well."

Kevin Whelan, a fourth-year College student and another Lawn neighbor, voiced similar praise.

"Katie Dirks is a very special woman who is going to do great things," Whelan said.