Tech to offer scholarships to increase diversity

In an effort to attract a more diverse student population, Virginia Tech recently created 27 renewable undergraduate scholarships and three graduate fellowships available for underrepresented students. The scholarships will be handed out beginning in the 2001-2002 academic

The criteria to apply for the scholarships are very broad, so the money is available to a wide range of students, said Benjamin Dixon, Virginia Tech multicultural affairs vice president.

"This is open to anyone who feels that they qualify," Dixon said.

Geographical location, disability status and ethnic background are a few of the criteria that will be used to find reward recipients.

The scholarships range from $3,000 to $7,500 per year.

Related Links
  • U.Va. Office of Financial Aid
  • U.Va. Office of African American Affairs
  • Virgnia Tech Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid
  • Virgnia Tech Office of Multicultural Affairs
  •  

The new program is designed to increase Virginia Tech's ethnic, cultural and disability population, so selection will not be based solely on need.

Virginia Tech aims to provide students with an environment more similar to the outside world, Dixon said.

"We believe that we can't provide the highest quality education for the majority students if we continue to have them live and work in a majority situation," he said.

The University offers some minority scholarships but none of Virginia Tech's magnitude, University President John T. Casteen III said.

Some of these scholarships are gifts from donors that are awarded to students enrolled in specific schools on Grounds. Other scholarships are part of larger programs such as the Jerome Holland Scholarship and the Ridley Scholars program. The Ridley Program is an Alumni Association initiative that encourages competition for enrollment among minority students.

The University is a model for other institutions in recruiting minority students, said Dean of African-American Affairs M. Rick Turner.

The University "is known throughout the country for the programs and support that we offer to our minority students," Turner said.

He said the University boasts a great minority recruitment program because it dedicates so much time to meeting the needs of minority students.

Virginia Tech was behind with its recruitment and retainment of minority students, but the scholarship program is a step in the right direction, he added.

Dixon rejected claims that the program only focuses on increasing enrollment of black students.

"Being able to meet the financial needs of students is very important," University spokeswoman Louise Dudley said. "We need to do what we can to make college affordable for everyone."

The Virginia Tech minority scholarship program will continue to grow over the next few years, with those who have completed the program serving as mentors to incoming participants.