Considering present gift problem

IF WORDS had a texture, "no" would be sandpaper - coarse, spike-adorned sandpaper. Fourth years shouldn't say "no" to the class gift.

As adults, we've realized through experience the power "no" can convey, but even little children recognize its abrasive nature as they torment their parents behind two-year old giggling. "No" symbolizes the speaker's steadfast conviction to abide by set principles or to avoid something undesired. "No" settles an issue and answers a question with an implied exclamation point.

But can we really consider the opportunity to give back to the University, or to leave things a little better than we first found them, "undesirable," or a violation of some principle? No, of course not. As a Class of 2002 trustee involved with class fundraising, it is discouraging to note that, typically, only 33 percent of a graduating class contribute to the class gift.

It isn't a lack of interest or information. It's because, when reminded or encouraged to give, too many students say "no."

Every year at graduation, an outgoing class presents a gift to the University. This class gift is the final opportunity for the class to demonstrate its love and commitment to this institution. The gift is a measure of student appreciation, a traditional way of saying thanks and a final attempt to make the University a slightly better place or to leave a positive impression before passing into the working world.

The impact and the significance of a class gift, however, is only as strong as the support it receives. Recent graduating classes struggled with low support, 26 percent in 1997, 25 percent in 1998, 28 percent in 2000 and a recent high of 32 percent participation in 1999. The numbers are disappointing because if they represent student love and appreciation, as a class gift should, they show that less than a third of University students are grateful enough to delve into their wallets and to give as undergraduates. These numbers can't be a true representation, can they?

Students do not refuse to give because they disagree with the gift idea. To college-age students, Pokemon cards are a waste of money, but we still wrap them up in birthday paper for our little cousins because it is in the gesture that we show our appreciation. The class gift might be uninteresting or seemingly not worthwhile; but it's the gesture to the University that counts.

• Class of 2001 web site

• The Class of 2001 gift program seeks to prevent any disagreement. The program allows 80 percent of a student's donation to go to any University club, department or organization that he chooses. The other 20 percent will be placed in the Jargowsky-Newman-Hess-Stoker Scholarship fund, created in memory of four Class of 2001 students who died of cancer. The scholarship will be given each year to University students battling cancer to help fund their University education.

Graduating students are aware of the class gift program. The Class of 2001 trustees have publicized and promoted the class gift through flyers and mailings since last spring. Last week, they held the "fourth-year phone-a-thon," and called every graduating student to encourage donations to the gift.

But the support and participation numbers that are truly reflective of a class remain elusive.

As the semester and the year race to a close, the Class of 2001 trustees are racing to garner support for their class gift. Actually, they've already beaten the record set by the Class of 1999 of 32 percent, with 35 percent participation and are a few dollars short of the largest cash donation ever. It should say something about the enthusiasm of the trustees that they are able to break such a long standing threshold; it should say something about the University that the record is so low, and is so difficult to break.

There are two kinds of people in this world: There are givers and there are takers. The people who are drawn to the University have big hearts and give immense amounts of their time and energy because it is in their nature.

A student's tuition does not in any way compensate the University for the experiences and education it provides. The University is the students; it's not the administrators, the sports teams or even the classes. The common characteristics we share as a student body are what makes the University special and are what a person should support. It doesn't matter how much a student gives, the important thing is to give.

In a world composed of givers and takers, 50 percent is the best anyone can hope to do. In a University composed primarily of givers, we cannot reasonably tolerate 35 percent.

(Luke Ryan's column appears Fridays in The Cavalier Daily. He can be reached at lryan@cavalierdaily.com.)