Words don't cut it

WRITING an article for The Cavalier Daily does seem like a strange thing for me to do. All my years here I've worked as a photographer, where I took pride in presenting information through a visual medium. Words, it seems, just don't cut it when explaining certain things. I mean, how could one express in words the angst of a student protester fighting for the Living Wage Campaign outside the Rotunda, or the sincerity in the Dalai Lama's eyes while speaking to an awe-struck crowd in Old Cabell Hall? That's the beauty of photographs; they invite viewers to come up with a conclusion from the finality of a moment, seen and felt through the eyes and emotions of the photographer, captured through the lens of a camera and immortalized in film.

Perhaps this is how I will best remember my time here at the University. Those countless mental photographs taken during those moments of happiness, frustration, sadness and hope are like pictures piled in an old but treasured shoebox. I'll remember many of them, perhaps ignore a few, and in the years to come, rediscover many of those moments that defined and redefined me as a person during my time spent at U.Va.

Everyone has probably heard of the cliche, the friends you meet in college are the friends that will remain with you for life. As trite as it may sound, I believe it, and the many still-framed images in my head comfort me that my friends here are the ones I can count on forever. I remember my first-year roommate Mike, and the many late-night conversations we had (consequently forcing me to skip those 8 a.m. classes on a regular basis). I remember my best buddies Johnnie and Angela. I still have no idea how we got so close to each other since we're all strange in our own ways, but hey, four years and still not being sick of hanging out with each other says a lot about friendship. I remember the Gwathmey buddies during first year and the Lambeth crew from second year onwards, and how many of us have stuck with each other through thick and thin. And of course, I remember those warm summers and those relaxing times spent with people you care about. Sure, many of us came here to get an education, but all the people I've met at this place are in many ways more valuable than a degree.

I've wanted to be a photojournalist since I held my first camera 10 years ago, and as much as I love this place, I was disappointed that U.Va. didn't offer a journalism program. Then again, I did initially come here to do the Commerce School thing, very much against my will. I thank the staff of The Cavalier Daily for convincing me that photojournalism is my calling in life. I had the chance to photograph Desmond Tutu, the Dalai Lama, Tipper Gore (hey, I shot Al Gore's wife! Get it?), Dave Matthews and countless faces that make up the University.

The assignments and many late nights here have taught me so much about journalism and the sacrifices journalists go through. To my co-editor JR: We did a pretty darn good job, and thanks for saving my butt countless times. Dan and Leah: You guys did great changing how Cavalier Daily Photo ran its daily operations. Brady and Peter: Best of luck being the new chiefs of photo. AJ: Thanks for giving me the opportunity to double shoot for Corks & Curls.

One of my biggest struggles as a student here was to simply graduate in something that I wanted to dedicate my life to. My decision to pursue Visual Anthropology and put my efforts in photojournalism was a big risk for many reasons, but all the while I learned that hope is something to never give up on, no matter how bleak things are. To Prof. David Sapir: Thanks for being a great mentor. It's your fault I got myself a Leica and admire Gene Smith. To Mom, Dad, my family and relatives: Thanks for believing in me. To the political bureaucrats in the country where I come from, who told me I could never become a photojournalist and tried to pull me out of school and numerous other threats: Bite me, you fartknockers. Quit trying to drag me down and do yourselves a favor, like perhaps giving your people the right to free speech, their independence and their right to choose their own path in life.

On graduation day, I will walk down the Lawn one final time with pride. With that, the many memories and mental snapshots of U.Va. will come to a close. Perhaps it is time to close the lid on the old shoebox and move on. There are many more shoeboxes to be filled. But whenever I need to, I know I can always open that box and look back at those beautiful photographs, those moments of my life spent at U.Va.

(Tengku Bahar was a 1999-2000 Photography editor.)