Groh seeks success in return to Virginia

According to Virginia football coach Al Groh, college football hasn't changed much after 35 years. But as far as the University is concerned, Groh has something different to say.

"There's been a wonderful change at the University," he said with a smile. "Slightly over 50 percent of the student body is now women."

After coaching one year at Albemarle High School, 20 years at seven different colleges and 13 years in the ranks of the National Football League, the 1967 University graduate is now back in Charlottesville as the head man for Virginia football. With a new office in the Frank McCue Center and a new team of young players, Groh has been adjusting back to the college scene since January, when he replaced George Welsh, the Cavaliers' coach since 1981 who retired at the end of the 2000.

Prior to coming to Virginia, Groh was the New York Jets' head coach after Bill Parcells stepped down in 1999. He led New York to a 9-7 mark in 2000 and just missed the playoffs.

According to Groh, he was very happy with his position with the Jets and didn't have intentions of leaving a job that is considered to be the peak of any football coaching career. Plus, the thought of coming back to college football never once crossed his mind.

"I had a pretty good job, and when I got that job, I thought that job would be my job for life," Groh said. "I liked my [Jets] team very much. I had high expectations for the 2001 season, and I was looking forward to coaching my team again."

So what made the 56-year-old leave New York for Charlottesville and drop the NFL for NCAA football? To Groh, it wasn't about coming back to the college ranks. It was about coming back to the University.

"I never had an interest to go back to college football," Groh said. "My interest was coming to the University of Virginia. This is certainly the only school I would have ever left my job for."

The decision - which was made within a time frame of 18 hours - was a tough one for Groh. While separating himself from his New York team was the hardest part of the decision, he found the opportunity as a "uniquely good fit" and did not take the chance to pass it up. Groh's choice came as a huge surprise to many, even himself.

"So many things have to fall in place for an occurrence like this to happen," Groh said. "Sometimes when these opportunities come up, they come at not the most convenient times. But they won't come back again either."

Thankfully for Virginia, Groh took the unforeseen path. His coaching resume is one of - if not the most - impressive one in college football today. Groh has served in various capacities in both the college and professional ranks and believes that his experiences will be a great help to reach his vision: lead Virginia to a national championship.

"I feel fortunate to have the background that I have," Groh said. "I believe it gives me a good perspective on the game. It is the best background anyone can have to create the best football team."

Groh's credentials include Virginia's head freshman and defensive line coach from 1970-72, North Carolina's linebackers coach from 1973-77 and Wake Forest's head coach from 1981-86. Prior to becoming Jets' head coach, Groh served as an assistant to Parcells, a pro football hall-of-famer, from 1987-99, and was the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach for the New York Giants, the New England Patriots and the New York Jets under Parcells. Groh also coached in a Super Bowl, when the Patriots finished with an 11-5 record in 1996 and played in Super Bowl XXXI.

"Al Groh has the professional and personal characteristics to be successful in moving the program forward," said former Virginia athletics director Terry Holland, who played a large part in Groh's hiring. "He is a proven winner and brilliant game strategist, and truly believes in the University of Virginia and its traditions."

Because he attended, played football for and coached at Virginia, Groh finds the University a very familiar place. Some of his family resides in Charlottesville, and he made frequent trips to the area before becoming the Cavaliers' football coach. Groh's son, Mike, also attended the University from 1991-95, and was the Cavaliers' quarterback when Virginia gave powerhouse Florida State its first-ever loss in the ACC in 1994. Mike Groh is now coaching alongside his father. He served as the offensive assistant and quality control coach with the New York Jets in 2000 and is now the Cavaliers' wide receivers coach.

Groh's history with Virginia has him strongly believing in the University's honor system. He expects two things from his players: a desire to go to college and earn a degree and an appreciation for the honor code.

Groh "creates enthusiasm about our institution and the football program when he talks to recruits, alumni, ticket holders and media about his vision for Virginia football," Holland said. "I honestly believe that we have the right man at the right time to lead our program to continued national prominence."