Moses finishes sixth in Worlds

At the ninth FINA World Swimming Championships in Fukuoka, Japan, former Virginia swimming star Ed Moses finished sixth in the finals of the 50-meter breastroke on July 29. Moses recorded a time of 28.02 seconds in the finals.

Ukraine's Oleg Lisofor won the 50-meter breastroke competition with a time of 27.52.

Moses posted a time of 27.82 in the 50-meter breastroke preliminaries on July 28, the second-fastest time of the prelims. In the semifinals, he finished third with a time of 27.90.

Moses placed third in the 100-meter breast of the championships with a time of 1:00.61 on July 24 and placed sixth in the 200-meter breast with a time of 2:11.38 on July 25.

Moses, who won gold and silver medals in the 2000 Olympic Games, holds the current world record in the 50-meter breast with a time of 27.39, which he set in March.

Men's tennis welcomes new coach

The Virginia athletics department named Brian Boland as the new men's tennis coach yesterday. Boland replaces Dick Stockton, who resigned earlier this summer to become the director of tennis at the Delray Beach Tennis Center in Delray Beach, Fla.

Boland comes from Indiana State, where he coached from 1996-2001. He led the Sycamores to an impressive 120-31 (.794) overall record.

Last year, Indiana State was ranked as high as No. 18 and won its third consecutive conference championship. In addition, the Sycamores were invited to the NCAA tournament the past three years and advanced to the regional final the last two seasons.

While at Indiana State, Boland was chosen as the Missouri Valley Conference coach of the year four times. He was also chosen as the Region V coach of the year and was a finalist for national coach of the year in 1999-2000.

Reck wins silver

Virginia sophomore rower Jennifer Reck was a member of the United States women's four crew that finished second at the Under-23 World Rowing Championships on July 29. The championships were held in Linz, Austria.

The U.S. crew stole silver with a time of 6:52.90, a mere 73 hundredths of a second ahead of Germany (6:53.63). Australia won the race with a time of 6:50.93.

Arsdale joins men's lacrosse

Virginia men's lacrosse coach Dom Starsia announced Tuesday that Marc Van Arsdale will be the new head assistant coach on his staff. Van Arsdale will replace Chris Colbeck, who resigned from the position earlier in the summer.

This isn't the first time Van Arsdale has been in Charlottesville. From 1991-96, he served as an assistant coach for the Cavaliers to former coach Jim Adams (1991-92) and Starsia (1993-96). Van Arsdale then moved to the University of Pennsylvania, where he served as the head coach of the Quakers from 1997-2001. He led Pennsylvania to a 27-39 overall record.

Van Arsdale will begin his new position on Aug. 15.

ACC football teams make poll

The Football Writers Association released its preseason top 25 poll on Tuesday, which includes three ACC teams.

With 341 votes, the FWA placed ACC powerhouse Florida State at No. 7. Georgia Tech was ranked at No. 11 with 241 votes and Clemson at No. 18 with 140 votes.

Florida (398 votes), Miami, Fla. (379 votes) and defending national champion Oklahoma (358 votes) top the poll.