Watson enjoys summer in Charlottesville

After playing through multiple injuries in a grueling sophomore season last year, Virginia men's basketball star Travis Watson needed a break. And according to the 6-foot-7 junior, he's been getting all the rest he needs this summer.

Of course, "resting" for Watson doesn't mean basking in the sun at the beach. Watson, who's been in Charlottesville throughout most of the summer, has found himself in the gym every day, conditioning and toning his basketball skills. He also has spent a great amount of time rehabilitating his right knee, which underwent arthroscopioc surgery in early April.

The knee injury "wasn't serious, but after the surgery, I lost a lot of strength in my right leg," Watson said. "But I've had awhile to rehabilitate it, so it's definitely strong now."

Although Watson says the injury wasn't serious, it's clear that the various minor injuries he suffered throughout last season - including a hip pointer, sprained ankle and strained hamstring - took their toll on his body. Watson skipped the tryouts for the 2001 USA Basketball World Championship team earlier this summer.

Watson "was banged up" after last season, Virginia coach Pete Gillen said. "He was really hurt, and we just needed to rest him and build up his body again."

Even with the injuries, Watson was still a huge factor for Virginia and put up 12.3 points and 9.1 rebounds per game for the Cavaliers in 2000-01. He led the ACC in double-doubles and was the conference's second-best rebounder behind Georgia Tech 7-footer Alvin Jones. Watson also was named to the all-ACC second team and was voted as the team's co-MVP alongside junior guard Roger Mason.

Watson's "a warrior, courageous and tough," Gillen said. "What impressed me so much was Travis played with injuries and pain. He had five significant injuries that would have prevented a lot of guys from playing in games. He overcame all that and played. Without him, we probably would have lost some more games and not had as good a year. He stepped up."

Watson has spent the entire summer working on his body and staying in shape, lifting weights and shooting at least 500 shots on the hardwood each day. He also participated in pick-up games with his teammates for the first half of the summer and is now playing in a Pro-Am summer league.

Watson, an anthropology major, also took classes during both summer school sessions. In addition, he spends some time working at Bellair Market on Ivy Road.

Is that what you call a relaxing summer? Watson thinks so.

"Two months is a long time, and I've gotten enough rest," Watson said. "Now I'm just starting to get back into working mode."

After summer school ends this week, Watson plans on participating in a summer basketball camp before classes start in late August. Watson's had enough of resting and, like the rest of the Cavaliers, can't wait for the upcoming season.

Watson will be greeting four freshmen to the team, including 6-7 Jason Clark and 6-9 Elton Brown. Clark and Brown will provide much-needed help in the paint for the undersized center in one of the nation's toughest conferences. Watson also will be welcoming back sophomore point guard Majestic Mapp, who redshirted last season with a torn ACL.

"I'm excited for next season with the new players and Majestic coming back," Watson said. "They'll help raise momentum for the team."

After two months of relaxation, Watson is now more than ready to jump into 2001-02 and has high hopes. After all, his time off this summer was really just priming for the upcoming season.

"It's going to be a new year, and I want to be the best player I can be," Watson said. "I'm ready to get back into the swing of things"