Odds and Ends

Take two! Dave Matthews Band films new music video on 14th Street

Yesterday the crew of the Dave Matthews Band's new music video magically transformed a house on 14th Street into a set. What had once been a minimally decorated dining room became a fully furnished bedroom, complete with pictures on the walls and plants in the corners.

The residents - five fourth-year females - of 358 14th St. watched bemused from the stairs in the next room as their house became the set for the music video "Everyday."

"Some guys knocked on our door Friday morning and asked to look at our house," fourth-year Education student Kathleen Coyle said. The men were the Dave Matthews Band's set crew and "they were looking at two others on 14th Street but ended up going with ours. And here they are today."

"They liked the porch and the name of the house which is carved out in the front: 'Breasthaven,'" fourth-year College student Marjorie Duffy chimed in. "It really was just luck."

This is the Dave Matthews Band's first music video shot in the band's hometown, Charlottesville.

"We tried to find the most convenient place since Dave leaves tomorrow for London and these guys [the band members] are just so busy," said Hugh Surrat, the senior vice president for artist development at RCA Records.

The video portrays a day in the life of a man who wakes up one morning and decides to spread "love and positive energy," said Mike Jurkovac, the executive producer and president of cYclops Production. "He essentially walks down the street and gives people hugs. The song is extremely uplifting and positive, and the video captures that feeling."

The band members do not appear in any of the 14th Street shots and will, instead, do their filming today in their Charlottesville studio.

The actor featured in the video is stand-up comedian-turned-actor Judah Friedlander, who is making his music video debut in "Everyday." Friedlander has had roles in "Meet the Parents," "Zoolander" and several commercials.

Friedlander and the rest of the crew were on the Downtown Mall early yesterday filming some of the "hugging scenes." Notable people who got hugged and will appear in the video include Charlottesville firemen and the cast of the NBC 29 News team.

Girls who were passing by the video shoot on 14th Street smiled coyly at Friedlander from the grass and asked to have their picture taken with him. Men with cell phones in one hand and walkie-talkies in the other swarmed while fans gathered around the house and on rooftops to catch a glimpse of the commotion.

The video is directed by Chuck McBride, the mind behind the "Got Milk?" ad campaign and Levi's and Sony Playstation commercials. Dressed in a yellow T-shirt and jeans, McBride and the rest of the team are friendly, accommodating and laid back.

RCA, cYclops and the Dave Matthews Band's own Red Light Management worked together on a public service announcement for MTV four weeks ago following the Sept. 11 tragedy. They had initially been working on an idea for a video for "When the World Ends," but McBride and Matthews decided to do "Everyday" instead, especially after the band's performance of "Everyday" at the nationally televised Benefit Concert.

The vision statement for the video reads, "The idea is to document one man's quest to spread a little love around. It will be funny, ironic, touching and beautiful"