BOV tries to tackle budget problems

At their meeting this weekend, Board of Visitors members discussed Democratic Gov. Mark R. Warner's proposed budget amendments for dealing with state budget shortfalls and their effects on the University.

Warner's plan to cap in-state undergraduate tuition increases at 5 percent leaves the University "no better or worse off than under" former Republican Gov. James S. Gilmore III's plan, said Collete Sheehy, University vice president for management and budget.

The plan, which requires 85 percent of the tuition increase to go back to the state, is one of several proposed amendments to the 2002-2004 budget, which are intended to help recover approximately $1.3 billion in lost state revenue over the next year.

Warner's proposals eliminate the 2 percent faculty salary increase for fiscal year 2003 and reduce funding for research and public service centers and projects at the University.

Budget cuts will start at three percent in fiscal year 2002, and will increase to seven percent in 2003 and eight percent in 2004.

"We've been required to suspend faculty hiring to meet budget needs," College Dean Edward L. Ayers said.

Although the proposal would eliminate pay raises for the second year in a row, Ayers said faculty members generally have accepted the necessity of the measure. Faculty and staff have gained confidence and morale from long-term goals such as the South Lawn Project and Fine Arts precinct, which are unaffected by the amendments, he added.

On Friday, Board members also proposed an increase in housing rates of $100 to help fund a reserve that would be used to make significant repairs to the University's aging dormitories.

"We want to invest enough money to make housing comfortable for students," said Leonard W. Sandridge, University executive vice president and chief operations officer.

Also at the meeting, Board members selected third-year College student Tim Lovelace as the new student member of the Board of Visitors.

The student member serves a one-year term and functions as a soundboard for student issues appearing before the Board.