Simmons adds to City Council candidacy list

University Medical Center employee David Simmons (D) announced his candidacy in the race for City Council Monday, becoming the fifth candidate vying for the two open seats.

Simmons, director of clinical services for the Nephrology Clinic at the University Medical Center and the only University employee now in the race, has emphasized his extensive activity in community organizations as an asset to his bid for City Council representative.

"My experience will give me a different perspective" than the other candidates, Simmons said. "I feel I can bring something from the grass-roots level [because] I interact with citizens and listen to them," he said.

Simmons, who is also a graduate of the University, works with the Red Cross, the NAACP and the Virginia Minority Health Advisory Committee. He is a founding member of the Black Nurses Association of Charlottesville.

The large number of candidates in this year's City Council election has raised the stakes of the race and increased the level of competition, according to local politicians.

"It just indicates how strong the [Democratic] party is," said Bern Ewert, another Democratic candidate and a former deputy city manager.

The large number of candidates results from current Council member David Toscano's decision not to run, Ewert said.

In the May 7 elections the candidates will vie for two available seats. Incumbent Mayor Blake Caravati occupies one seat. Toscano occupies the other, but is not seeking re-election.

Currently all five candidates for the Council - Joan Fenton, Waldo Jaquith, Caravati, Ewert and Simmons - are Democrats. No Republicans have announced an intention to run yet, but the party is expected to name potential candidates.

Simmons said if elected, one of his top priorities would be to address the impact of the Standards of Learning tests on students and local school systems.

"I think we need to be more involved in enhancing parents' understanding of the exams and helping teachers develop strategies for dealing with them."

He said he hoped there would be collaboration between the City Council and the local School Board on the SOL issue.

Simmons also said he would like to increase community involvement in the governance of Charlottesville.

The Charlottesville City Council serves as the main legislative and governing body for the city and consists of five members elected to four-year terms.