Athletics dept. sets limits on Pep Band limits

Those who love the Pep Band will be upset with the athletic department's plans for next football season.

Those who dislike the Pep Band will offer a collective sigh of relief.

The University's athletic department currently plans to keep the number of Pep Band performances during next fall's football halftime shows to a total of two, said Andrew Rader, associate athletic director for marketing, promotions and licensing. Rader said the Pep Band will be allowed to participate in other football games during pre-game activities.

The athletic department also plans to diversify half-time entertainment next fall. Rader said high school marching bands will not be used as often next year as they were last fall.

Adam Swann, Student Council executive vice president, said he had received complaints from some students against the use of high school marching bands. Swann has been working with the athletic department on the issue of the Pep Band's involvement in football entertainment.

The athletic department is looking at a lot of options for next year, including other college marching bands and professional musicians, he said.

"It's all about providing good entertainment to the fans," he added.

Swann said he and others on Council feel the athletic department should bring a "collegiate" feel to the football games.

But Rader said his focus was on providing quality entertainment to all the thousands of football fans at Scott Stadium, not just college students.

Swann said he and fellow Council members had met with Rader in multiple meetings in order to ensure that student input was heard.

The Pep Band will be allowed to participate in every football game although it normally will be before the game, Rader said. The policy for the upcoming school year differs little from last fall when the Pep Band only was allowed to participate during the half-time performances for the Wake Forest and Virginia Tech games.

He added it is possible the department may change its plans for the Pep Band over the next month.

Student response to the Pep Band always has been mixed. Swann said students seem to either love or hate the group.

He said that Council never took an official stance on either side of the Pep Band issue.

The athletic department also has had problems with the group.

"They continue to play the same songs," Rader said. "We want more diversity."

He said the athletic department will work with the Pep Band to ensure they have a wider selection of songs and that they also try to have a larger number of musicians participating.

Rader said he has been working mainly with Pep Band President Heather Pozun. Pozun did not return phone calls from The Cavalier Daily seeking comment.

Many colleges have large marching bands entertain during halftime, but the athletic department currently has no plans to start a marching band at the University, he added.