Firsts, lasts and bests

FOUR YEARS ago, my life was all about firsts: first time away from home, first roommate, first college course.

This year, all I can think about is lasts: last football game, last spring break, last final exam.

Between these milestones, my college years were filled with countless "bests": best friends, best professors and best memories.

These are the people and experiences that together have shaped my time at the University into an unforgettable slice of laughter and tears.

Best roommate: Marisa Colaneri. Late-night "study" sessions for jazz, talking in abbreves, and O-Hill food sculptures - they never would have happened without you. Marisa, thank you for helping me feel comfortable in a world that was so frighteningly new, and for encouraging and supporting me during that initial time of defining myself as an individual.

Best sidekick: Rakesh Gopalan. You've been my partner in crime in so many ways. Of course, we wrote that infamous coffee maker paper. But since then, we've filled our days with kidnapping the Libel Bunny, sleeping through circus class and wreaking havoc on the road. You've been my companion since the beginning of school, and I'm grateful that you're still here at the end.

Best professor: Fishback. My friendship with you has been the most rewarding relationship to come out of my academic experience. You know just how and when to push me out of procrastination, and you consistently offer support as a father would. More than anyone else, you embody the Jeffersonian ideal of a professor who instructs but also encourages his students, and who values friendships with his pupils as much as their final exams.

Best supporters: My family, especially Mom. Coming to Charlottesville from Florida forced a shift in all of my family relationships. It meant moving far from my immediate family but close to my extended family, a change that brought a combination of heartache and newfound closeness. Mom, I hope you realize how much I depend on your unending understanding. I am honored that our relationship is transitioning from that of a parent and child to that of friends. I'm also thankful for the new closeness I have established with my family in Virginia, especially Grandma and June, Chris and Julie, and of course Pop and Carolyn. Pop, it means so much to me that you've been part of my life during college in ways you weren't able to before.

Best organization: The Cavalier Daily. From my first article to this last column, my years in the Newcomb Hall basement defined a significant chunk of my University experience. It is there that I learned just how far I can push myself, and just how much a group of passionate individuals can accomplish. Even a small contribution to this paper can make a large impact on our community, and I have felt privileged to be part of that effort. No single experience in my life has taught me as much about dedication as my time with this paper. To the Cav Daily staff, past and present, thank you for giving me a home and a family when I needed them most, and for inspiring me to test my own abilities.

Best friends: My Girls. Aditi Agarwal, Alison Brundage, Emily McMullin, Megan Morrison, Lauren Nelson and Heidi Schroeder. You are what college is all about for me. When I agreed to take the empty slot in your Lambeth apartment second year, I had no idea what I was getting into. There's no way I could have anticipated having a group of friends so enthusiastic, supportive, generous, loving or fun. In a word, you are perfect. How can I even begin to thank you for that? In these years of personal growth and self-discovery, you've been along for the ride in ways no one else has. For that I am forever indebted to you.

Last words: From the first steps to my dorm on move-in day to my last walk down the Lawn this afternoon, the past four years have been the best college experience I could have hoped for. Thank you to everyone who played a part in it.

(Katie Dalton was a 2001-2002 assistant managing editor and a 2000-2001 news editor.)