Sports in Brief

Women's rowing finishes high at Princeton Chase

The Virginia women's rowing "A" boat finished third in the women's eights competition and the "B" boat finished second in the women's fours competition in Sunday's Princeton Chase event in Princeton, N.J.

Host Princeton won the women's eights competition with a time of 14 minutes, 53.6 seconds. Yale came in second at 14:58.5, followed by Virginia at 15:24.6. Radcliffe, Cornell and Boston University finished fourth through sixth, followed by the Virginia "B" boat at

15:42.7. The Virginia "C" boat finished 11th at 16:01.6. The Cavaliers entered the fastest "B" and "C" boats in the competition.

Women's tennis stars advance at ITA Regional Championships

Virginia tennis standouts Jennifer Tuchband and Henriette Williams, both seniors, advanced to the round of 16 at the Omni Hotels ITA Regional Championships this weekend at Harvard University in Boston, Mass. The event runs through Tuesday.

Williams, a No. 9 seed in the event, won a pair of matches in singles play over the weekend. She defeated Allison Ashley of Boston College and No. 17 Sanela Kunovac of Penn on Sunday. Tuchband, also a No. 9 seed, defeated Anne Catherine Valle of Stony Brook and another No. 9 seed, Raluca Ciochina of Penn.

Two other Virginia players, freshmen Kristen James and Lauren Bruch, competed in the event as No. 25 seeds and fell in the round of 32.

In doubles play, the No. 5 team of Williams and Tuchband advanced to the round of 16, where they were defeated by Megan Marton and Judy Wang of Penn State.

-- Compiled by Chip Knighton