Struggling Cavs face in-state rival JMU

The Virginia women's soccer team (6-4-2, 0-2 ACC) succumbed Friday to ACC rival Maryland at College Park. The 2-0 decision marked the Terrapins' first shutout victory over the Cavaliers and only the second time in history Maryland has beaten Virginia, whose record against the Terrapins now stands at 17-2-2.

Once ranked as high as sixth nationally, the Cavaliers have struggled of late. In its previous four games, Virginia has notched only one win, a come-from-behind 2-1 victory against the lesser-evil Alabama-Birmingham on Oct. 6.

Against Maryland, Virginia failed to come up with an effective response to the Terrapins, who scored just before halftime and added a security goal in the 72nd minute. In 90 minutes of play, the Cavaliers tallied only six shots to Maryland's 12. The mediocre showing marked the first time this season that the Cavaliers failed to shoot in double digits. In the second half, the Cavaliers shot on goal a paltry two times. Indeed, the Cavaliers have struggled to find a consistent offensive rhythm and to capitalize on opportunities throughout the season.

"We couldn't get in the final third of the field," senior defender and team captain Kelly Worden confirmed. "The game was played mostly in the middle of the field and we had possession a lot of the time. We had our opportunities but we didn't put the ball in the back of the net. We played well, we competed well, but we couldn't put it in."

Virginia Coach Steve Swanson echoed Worden's concerns with the offense.

"It's difficult to pinpoint anything that's going wrong," Swanson said. "I think we've played very well for long stretches of the season. We just don't seem to get the goal."

This evening, Virginia (6-4-2, 0-2 ACC) enters its final nonconference match of the season, hosting in-state rival James Madison University (7-4-3), seething with the disappointment of Friday's loss and hoping to halt their recent pattern of dismal showings. The Cavaliers enter tonight's match boasting a lifetime record of 15-1-2 against the Dukes, one statistic that should arm Virginia with necessary confidence and equate to a much-needed Cavalier win.

But success in seasons past does not afford Virginia the opportunity to take tonight's game lightly. JMU arrives at Kl

ckner Stadium enjoying a recent run of success. Saturday, in a conference match up, the Dukes successfully handled Delaware, previously undefeated in the Colonial Athletic Association. JMU's last loss came more than two weeks ago, on October 1, against a strong contingent from Virginia Commonwealth University. Thus, the Dukes enter tonight's match on a decidedly different note than does their hosts. Moreover, as the "state team to beat," Virginia faces additional hostility from its neighbors.

"I don't look at rankings, records or anything else about a team," Swanson said. "All I look at is where our team is at now. James Madison has always been difficult for us. There has been a rivalry there since before I got here."

Following tonight's contest, Virginia finishes its regular season with five straight face-offs against formidable ACC opponents, three on the road. The upcoming stretch should pose some of the Cavaliers' stiffest and most important challenges of the season, including a road trip to No. 1 North Carolina this Saturday. A victory tonight against JMU would give Virginia a springboard into the rest of the looming season.

The Cavaliers, according to Worden, are "frustrated. We are a good team but it's hard to show that with our results."

Tonight offers Virginia an opportunity.