Nice guy Rogers shines as senior night starter

You couldn't have asked for a better ending. After seven straight losses leading up to last night's thriller, the situation was grim. That was until seniors Jason Rogers and Travis Watson started their last regular season home game asCavaliers. For a few hours, Virginia fans could forget about yet another late season collapse and cheer for one of the nicest and most popular players on Pete Gillen's squad in the person of Rogers.

Continuing a tradition at the University, Gillen started his scholarship seniors in their last game at U-Hall. In most situations, however, players that haven't seen much time during the season are quickly taken off the court, so the regulars can get into the game.

Rogers, who had seen a total of 141 minutes over his 49-game career, wouldn't let that happen. With his parents joining the masses chanting his name, Rogers dominated the game early on. He swatted three shots, grabbed four rebounds and scored 10 points, leading his team in the first half.

"You hear them chant your name, and you can't help but get excited," Rogers said. "There was so much emotion on the floor. I could hardly believe what was happening out there. I was so pumped up when I was out there, because I knew that I was helping my team on both ends of the court."

One can only wonder why Rogers hasn't seen more playing time off the bench over the course of his career. Not only can he provide some rebounding help, but he also has the ability to both block and alter shots, the latter of which doesn't show up in any stat sheet. With long arms and a 6-foot-11 frame, you wonder if teams would have been able to embark upon the layup drill around the basket that Virginia fans have had to endure this season if Rogers had seen more action. Gillen headed everyone off Sunday night when he tried to explain why Rogers hasn't seen more time.

"I'm not very smart," Gillen said, half jokingly. "I didn't play him enough. I'll say it. You don't have to write it."

Gillen was quick to add an addendum, saying that, while Rogers played his heart out during the game, he hasn't seen that in practice.

"He is a good player," Gillen said. "But he hasn't played like that in practice over the year."

Now, the past is the past and arguing over the best course for Rogers' career is a futile exercise. But for one night, Jason Rogers was a superstar who led his team to a crucial win over the No. 13 team in the country.

"It was a night that I'll never forget," Rogers said. "Not only because everyone was cheering for me, but because I was able to help my team win. After the game, I looked up and saw my mom and dad smiling, with the tears almost coming out of their eyes. By the end I was a little emotional as well."

Rogers has always been known as the team player. In practice, he often went to battle against the other star of senior night. Travis Watson, whose four years of U-Hall service were capped off by yet another double-double, this one with 26 points and 15 rebounds, was one of Rogers' biggest supporters and cheerleaders after the game.

"I have always known that he could play if he got a chance," he said. "He has blocked my shots a couple of times in practice, so I knew he could do some things on defense. He gave us a lift on our last night."

Reporters surrounded Rogers for their post game interviews as a smile beamed from the face of the seldom-interviewed senior.

One of Rogers' more spectacular moments came in the first half, when he threw down a monster dunk that brought the crowd to their feet in a near fit of hysteria.

"I wasn't trying to make it spectacular or anything," Rogers said. "I just wanted it to go in. For awhile it seemed as if nothing would go wrong."

Needless to say, for a few hours anyway, it was a beautiful day in the 'Hooville neighborhood.