Engineering Dean to retire this spring

After nearly a decade of service, this spring the University will say goodbye to Richard W. Miksad, dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Science.

Miksad, who came to the University in 1994, holds joint appointments with the department of civil engineering and the department of mechanical and aerospace engineering.

A University search committee led by Thomas C. Skalak, chair of the department of biomedical engineering, have stated that they hope to make a replacement recommendation by mid-December. Vice President and Provost Gene D. Block and University President John T. Casteen, III are expected to make an appointment in time for the start of classes in fall 2004.

The search committee will look for candidates who can take advantage of an increased commitment to the Engineering school by the Board of Visitors, President's office and Provost's office, Skalak said.

"This is a historical period we're in at U.Va. in terms of investing in the sciences and technology," Skalak said. "This dean will make decisions that will be part of the largest growth in science and technology at the University in more than 100 years."

To capitalize on this support, the new dean will be asked to focus on specific areas of growth, according to Skalak.

"We have named four cluster areas for priority -- bioengineering, computer and information science and engineering, nanotechnology and societal and environmental systems," Skalak said.

The hope is that improvement in these areas will help secure U.Va.'s position as a top public university, he said.

"We feel that if we can enhance some of these initiatives, this will solidify our position because of the importance of engineering in modern society," Skalak said.

The University also has hired Atlanta