No Place Like Home

Townies. They're everywhere -- at the football games, at the grocery store, at the mall. And in your classes.

Dozens of students who grew up in Charlottesville attend the University each year, bringing their own unique perspective on the pursuit of independence, the role of family and what it means to be a "townie."

Going to college for most University students involves an actual, physical move away from familiar surroundings into a totally new environment, but for these students, dorms may be as close as a 10-minute drive from home.

First-year College student Sarah Borish moved to Charlottesville before attending high school. As a result, Borish said she definitely did not want to attend the University during most of her high school career because she wanted a change of scenery.

"Then I realized how lucky I was to live so close to a great school," she said.

After attending for several months, she said she is happy with her decision.

"It's kind of nice to have my parents nearby if I need something," she said. "But you want to be like everyone else and be independent."

She said she is sometimes worried she will run into her parents at inopportune times, but that so far this has not happened.

Not getting lost on her way to class her first week, unlike many other first years, was another benefit, she said: "There are disadvantages, but it's also a comfort zone."

Unlike Borish, first-year Architecture student Julia Nagel said she always has known she wanted to attend the University. A lifelong resident of Charlottesville, Nagel said she still tries to experience college as all other students do.

"When I found out I got in, I stopped coming to Grounds because I wanted to be like every other first year," she said.

According to Nagel, being from Charlottesville has many advantages, such as traveling less during breaks, seeing friends from other schools during their breaks and being able to go home whenever she wants.

Although she was initially hesitant about going home frequently, Nagel said she is now happy that this is an option.

"My parents understand where I'm coming from and that I have a new life," she said.

With approximately 20 other students from her high school graduating class at the University, Nagel said she sees people she knows wherever she goes. Many students in her graduating class, however, chose to go elsewhere in order to get away from home.

"My best friend decided to go to Penn State because she wanted to leave Charlottesville," Nagel said. "But she might transfer here because she misses it."

First-year College student Matthew Van Riso said growing up in Charlottesville definitely affected his decision to come to the University. Van Riso's enthusiasm for University athletics translated into a choice to apply early.

Despite a continued enjoyment of Virginia sports teams, he said he sometimes feels he is missing out on the college experience.

"When I walk around campus, I associate everything with the city of Charlottesville," he said. "It's kind of a drag for everyone to ask you where everything is."

However, Van Riso also recognized many advantages.

"It's nice to know if I need anything from home I can get it in less than 15 minutes," he said. "Having home right there is assuring."

Van Riso said he is happy with his choice although many of his friends are also happy with their decisions to go elsewhere.

Second-year College student Marissa Mete said being from Charlottesville had no effect on her college selection.

Mete said that although she knew her way around town, she didn't really know her way around Grounds.

"What U.Va. people know about Charlottesville is Barracks and Route 29, and there's more to Charlottesville than that," she said.

Knowing people in town is one advantage she recognized, but she also observed that it made college less adventurous.

The proximity of home is nice for her because it allows her to get home-cooked meals more frequently than most other students.

"Having my dad cook for my suitemates is hot," Mete said. "That's an advantage because we don't have to cook."

First-year College student Matt Bisgaier doesn't have to ask his parents to bring him food when he wants a home-cooked meal because he still lives at home.

A last minute decision to attend the University after only completing three years of high school made living in first-year dorms not an option.

Instead, Bisgaier drives about 25 minutes and parks at University Hall every day.

He said the distance from classes is the most difficult part of living at home. Going out on the weekend is also hard because he said he has nowhere to crash.

With between 20 and 30 college credits from high school, he does not know what year he will be classified as if he transfers into the Engineering School, as he currently intends to do. He said he graduated early from Western Albermarle High School because there were no more classes he was interested in and completed the necessary paperwork in June and July.

"I had to prove that I'm capable of doing things," he said.

Before deciding to graduate early, he considered attending other colleges, but leaving high school early made the University a more reasonable choice.

"I think there's always a core group in high school who are set on U.Va. and others are not," he said. "In high school I thought U.Va. wouldn't be anything new, but I was proven wrong pretty quickly."

Overall, University students from Charlottesville said they are happy about their decision to attend the University.

Furthermore, contrary to widespread belief, the term "townie" is not actually offensive to Charlottesville residents, or at least not according to many townies at the University.

Bisgaier and Borish said they don't find the term offensive because they know it isn't used with malice.

"The term 'townie' doesn't bother me too much," Borish said. "I know that it bothers some people, but I don't really care."

Nagel said the term has grown on her.

"The first time someone classified me as a townie, I didn't like the sound of it," Nagel said. "Now the term is just funny."

Mete said she herself frequently makes jokes about townies and doesn't mind when others do.

"Unless people are mean about it," she said.

Home-cooked meals, short trips home and an unrivaled knowledge of directions generally make being a U.Va. townie a good deal.