Tolerance and honor

IN THINKING of tolerance and ignorance, I realized that I can fully imagine what it is like to be a white student attending U.Va. I can imagine what it's like to be rich, or upper-middle class, with professional and post-graduate educated parents and an extended family that is mostly college educated. I can visualize the hurt a woman may feel every time someone doesn't invite her shopping, because she never has money or she doesn't have a nice car. I can imagine what it is like to pretend to be as affluent as my friends.

I understand the class diversity that exists among many U.Va. students. Actually, I can understand and thoughtfully articulate the ideological and cultural diversity that exists in many student communities. In contrast, I wonder how many students can identify the diversity of thought and experience in my community.

For the larger University, I do not believe the concepts of tolerance and diversity should be codified within the honor code. Instead, I believe they are already inherent and inseparable components of the honor code, only they have been historically underwritten, downplayed and disregarded by the students and administration at U.Va.

Racist incidents and remarks should always warrant violation of U.Va.'s community of trust. At over $12,000 in-state, and $28,000 out-of-state, one should be able to trust classmates not to harass them or purposefully offend their identity, intellect or family. These acts should never warrant expulsion from school, unless those violations are criminal -- for example, harassment, vandalism, assaults or other crimes.

It is beyond me how someone could boast having integrity and honor after wrongfully assaulting someone or committing crimes against their classmate. It is beyond me how criminals are allowed to remain in this community after having violated another full-tuition paying member of U.Va's Academical Village. It is my opinion that U.Va. suffers from a lack of honest dialogue about these issues.

The term "diversity," though ambiguously employed at U.Va., is often used for fear of mishandling the larger situation. The real issues revolve around equity and how people are treated. They deal with opportunity and equality. Most ethnic groups on Grounds advocate for these ideals, and are definitely pro-U.Va. because of it.

They must identify along lines of ethnicity and race, however, to address issues of equity and equality in this community, along with wanting to promote awareness and celebrate cultural heritage (especially the BSA). In a community where non-whites are expected to strip themselves of their identities, celebrating cultural heritage is a necessity as well as a right. Groups like these want U.Va to be the best it possibly can be, which is why they are constantly putting their issues on the table. Even after four years, some students feel like this is not their university.

Because of delayed reaction or inaction from white students and the administration, some feel alone here when assaults are made on their communities, as if they are not worthy of support. Thus, ethnic groups must do everything in their power to make a home for themselves, like providing ample programming and events for the people in their communities. Honestly, should we really expect IFC fraternities to care whether the Latino students have a place for parties or fellowship? The issue of equity must be entered into this conversation, immediately.

Zero Tolerance for Ignorance has everything to do with ideas of how we treat each other, as well as lying, cheating and stealing. Zero Tolerance for Ignorance has everything to do with treating each other with dignity and respect. Every organization on Grounds from the Glee Club to the Mahogany Dance Troupe can do something in the spirit of Zero Tolerance. The College Republicans can have an awareness forum dispelling conservative myths, or the National Organization for Women can have a vigil against rape and sexual assault.

The point is that everyone must find their niche in the Zero Tolerance campaign. Everyone must acknowledge that without a single sanction penalty for criminal acts -- whether religiously, sexually or racially motivated -- we do not have an honor code.Rather we have a relic and a hollow carbon copy of what honor should mean at our institution. Can you be trusted to act with honor and integrity? Can I trust you to turn these criminals in?

Myra Franklin is president of the Black Student Alliance.