For the very first time

When most students think of University Hall they think of Cavalier basketball, but yesterday the stadium drew a crowd for a far different reason: It was one of several local polling locations. Camping out in front of the building usually involves an orange and blue display of school spirit, but on Election Day red, white and blue replaced the University's colors, and "I Voted" stickers were all the rage.

Third-year College students Ellie Kates and Sarah Burke sat next to a table covered in flyers and stickers supporting the Democratic candidates, and about 10 feet to their left, second-year Engineering student Cat Arndt Second and third-year Commerce student Kristin Hendee sat behind a similar table, covered in Republican paraphernalia.

"We really wanted to help with this election in particular," Kates said.

Hendee, who began campaigning at 8 a.m., said voter turnout at University Hall was high according to the chairman of the voting precinct.

"They said they've had more voters today by 12 [p.m.] than they had the whole entire day in 2000, so it's a really good turnout," she said.

Kates and Burke are registered to vote in Charlottesville, so they cast their first presidential ballots early yesterday morning.

"It felt really anti-climactic," Burke said. "I had been thinking about it for a really long time and working on the campaign, and then, all of a sudden, I pressed a button, and it was over."

Although the actual process of voting is brief, both said they found it to be a powerful experience.

"It makes you realize how small your part is and how little it takes to actually get out and make a difference and have a say," Burke said. "It makes you feel important, but it also makes you realize that they're so many other people doing their part and making a big difference. It's funny how small it makes you feel, but how important it makes you feel at the same time. It's kind of a strange dichotomy."

Kates said she found the process "stressful and scary" because it is impossible to know for sure that all votes -- especially "all your friends' absentee ballots" -- are counted.

"All of a sudden you're panicking, and you want everything to count, and you're not really sure how to make it happen, but then it's over," she said. "And that's the election."

Since many students voted by absentee ballot, they were a common topic of concern.

"Whether or not those ballots will be counted, I'm not sure," Kates said. "I also know people that got absentee ballots, sealed them and put stamps on them and didn't send them because they just didn't get around to it, which is pretty frustrating. I wish the process in general was a lot more simple for everybody so there wouldn't be any kind of excuse not to vote."

Arndt and Hendee, who both voted via absentee ballot, said they were not concerned about their votes not being counted.

"I think my county clerk will do a good job," said Hendee, who voted in Harris County, Texas. "I don't know -- she hasn't really messed up in the past, so I'm pretty confident it will be okay."

Arndt said she was sure to send her absentee ballot to Wisconsin in advance to avoid problems.

"I sent mine in over fall break so it was early enough, so I don't think there will be a problem," she said.

Arndt and Hendee said mailing in their votes, rather than voting at a polling station, didn't detract from their first voting experience.

"I was pretty excited when I put it in the mailbox -- I'm not going to lie," Hendee said.

Although the inconvenience of sending in absentee ballots may have deterred other students from voting, Burke said everybody she knows is casting a ballot.

"I don't actually know anybody who isn't, which is really exciting because I think the youth have really mobilized this election," she said. "It's really impressive to me to see how many people really care about this in the young voting bracket."

Arndt and Hendee agreed.

"Everyone I've talked to is really excited about the election, so they all voted," Hendee said.

Burke said she is excited about the potential for the youth vote to really make an impact in the election, despite the absence of college students from pre-election surveys for reasons such as not owning regular telephones.

"It's interesting to see that all of the young people that I know who are voting haven't really been counted so far, and it's great to see that our voice is finally going to be heard, which is exciting," she said. "No matter who you're voting for, that your voice is heard."

All four student campaigners attributed much of the excitement to special efforts by the media and celebrities to raise voter turnout.

"It's really in your face this year, which it hasn't been before, and the whole Rock the Vote and the fact that celebrities and musicians have come out and shown their support for different candidates," Burke said. "As silly as it sort of seems, young people pay a lot of attention to the media and we're kind of a media-driven generation, so I think it is important for MTV and young people to start to care."

Hendee agreed that the media has had a significant influence on the youth vote.

"Everywhere you look, it's Rock the Vote or Puff Daddy saying, 'Vote or Die,' and I think that has some influence on young people," she said.

Although they didn't think attempts to encourage voting were intentionally biased toward any particular candidate, the Democratic and Republican representatives thought the youth vote might help Kerry.

"I think that younger voters are usually traditionally pretty Democratic, so I think that if more younger voters vote, it will probably help Kerry out," Hendee said.

Burke and Kates also thought certain aspects of the election favored Kerry.

"I think a lot of it is focused on getting people to vote because they feel like their voice wasn't heard in the last election, so on that aspect I think... it would affect Democrats more, but maybe that's just my wishful thinking," Burke said.

Kates agreed.

"I think the election in general is affecting Democrats more," she said.

Although Hendee said her friends are split "about half and half," Ardnt said her friends tended to prefer Kerry.

"Probably more Kerry supporters in my friends than Bush, but I definitely have a lot of Bush friends," she said.

The students all said they planned to spend Election Night with close friends -- hopefully celebrating victories for their candidates.

"I wish this was a national holiday," Kates said. "I wish that no one had work or school today. I think it's pretty disgusting that we're all fighting to find time to come in and vote. I mean this is the future of our country and I think in a lot of ways the future of the youth in our country, and I plan to be with my friends."

Burke said she also hoped to spend time with friends.

"I have to work tonight and I'm really bitter about that, but I should be off work around 10 or 10:30 [p.m.], and I'm probably going to go and do something that will relax me and calm me down for a little while," she said. "Hang out with some friends, chill out, not deal with the television or the radio and then tune in and hold my friends' hands."

Hendee and Arndt said they planned to begin their evening at the Albemarle County Republican party, but planned to celebrate with friends afterwards. And if Kerry wins?

"Then we'll get ready for the next election, I guess," Hendee said.