Sofka lacks expectation of continued employment

A statement released yesterday by University Spokesperson Carol Wood states that, contrary to earlier indications that Politics Prof. James R. Sofka had "expectation of continued employment" in accordance with University policy for general faculty members, Sofka does not have this expectation because of the date of his most recent appointment.

According to the policy, a general faculty member has the expectation of continued appointment beginning with the first contract signed after six years of employment. But because hire dates are a matter of public record, Wood was able to clarify yesterday that Sofka was hired as a member of the general faculty on Aug. 25, 1998. His most recent renewal was in May 2004, several months shy of the six-year mark.

"It is not until the first renewal after six years of service that a general faculty member may earn the expectation of continued employment," Wood said. "Mr. Sofka therefore does not have that employment status."

Employees with this expectation of continued employment are afforded certain hearings and protections under the policy. But because Sofka does not have this contractual expectation, Wood said the recent decision by College Dean Edward L. Ayers informing Sofka that his contract would not be renewed in 2007 was in full compliance with University policy.

"I will continue to request a full and fair impartial investigation which is standard University procedure," Sofka said. "Due process is the fundamental issue"