NAACP challenges restructuring

The NAACP has announced its intent to oppose any management agreement under the Higher Education Restructuring Act that would create what the organization refers to as a 'two-tier workforce.' The organization objects to what it perceives as a lack of public input into the plan and the potential negative impact it could have on lower-wage employees in the future, according to a NAACP press release.

The University is ironing out the agreement with Gov. Mark R. Warner, and it is expected to be submitted to the General Assembly by Nov. 15.

The plan the University originally submitted had only one employee classification, according to University spokesperson Carol Wood. The General Assembly amended the agreement to give existing employees a chance to either retain their existing employment contract or convert to a new system, Wood said.

The agreement only gives the University power to adjust its classification and compensation system and would not impact retirement or health care packages, Commonwealth Education Secretary Peter A. Blake said.

Given the time it takes to implement any new plan, it is unlikely such a plan will be in place before the summer of 2007 and be "visible or measurable" before the summer of 2008, said Nathaniel Scurry, University interim director of human resources.

The NAACP cites the experience of employees of the University Medical Center, which was decentralized in 1996, as the basis for its criticism.

"Pointing to degradations in employee job security, compensation, benefits and working conditions are some of the effects the University of Virginia's Medical Center staff has endured," since 1996, the press release says.

If the University's academic side receives such autonomy through higher education restructuring, as is expected by the next academic year, "it is believed that the policies built on that model will be likely to worsen social and economic conditions for staff workers, families, and neighborhoods, while the professional researchers and faculty enjoy large increases in pay and benefits in years to come," according to the press release.

The University has invested $10 million over the last five years in band pay increases for classified -- non-faculty -- employees, Wood said. They also introduced a new "Rewards and Recognition" incentive program Sep. 7 that gives classified employees, bonuses of up to $1,000 or five days of sick leave, adding up to $1 million.

The NAACP speculates that with autonomy, the University would take advantage of its public immunity, as a state institution, from local zoning and other ordinances while using privatization to reduce its obligations to local workers and citizens.

Using a "two-tiered workforce system, with both public and private subsystems, in which protections will be rapidly chipped away," the community will degrade, the NAACP alleges.

"The NAACP believes the perceived arrogance and elitism of this classist plan may encourage increases in crime, hatred, and lasting racial resentment."

Such criticisms ignore the steps the University has taken to improve conditions for all employees, Wood said, as well as the fact that the University initiated the process of autonomy in part to make the University's wages the most competitive available.

"If you look at the commitment, not only philosophical but financial, that the University is already making, I don't see how people can look at this proposal and see it that way," Wood said.

Blake agreed the prognosis made in the press release was unlikely.

"Certainly, that is not our understanding of how this is going to play out," Blake said. "Gov. Warner is confident that all employees, however they are classified, are going to be treated well. I don't think he would endorse anything that would lead to the things the critics believe."

As for criticisms that the legislators and administrators have not allowed for public comments, the press release included letters addressed to critics from Blake and former Education Secretary Belle S. Wheelan. Blake added that University History Prof. Jeffrey Rossman spoke "eloquently" about his concerns at many of these events.

"I'm sure there can always be more opportunity for more input, so I don't want to criticize anybody who has input on these topics," Blake said.

The current benefits packages at the University are very competitive, administrators said. Wood said the Board of Visitors commissioned a study of its benefits package and found that it compared favorably to five of the University's peers. Scurry said the University's health plan was one of the best that he has heard of and was likely to improve.

"Clearly there is no reason for anyone who has done business with U.Va as a customer or employee to think that the University would do anything that would degrade employees," Scurry said. "The University does not do anything but promote positive programs for its employees."

NAACP President M. Rick Turner, who is also the University's African-American affairs dean, could not be reached for comment.