Womens' Basketball:What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Most people would agree that there are correct and incorrect things to say after a game. When it comes to heartbreaking losses, however, the fine line between them becomes less detectable. Ranging from blame-filled responses to deflective answers, coaches and players can give any combination of justifiable reactions.

Sitting in the media room after Friday's tough 84-74 overtime loss to No. 6 Maryland, Virginia junior center Siedah Williams, head coach Debbie Ryan and sophomore guard Sharneé Zoll each had their own manner of voicing their disappointment over the loss.

Ryan, with her intelligent and direct answers, knew that as the coach the responsibility rested on her. Williams, a silent leader like her teammate, senior forward Tiffany Sardin, listened to the responses. Zoll, similar to her on-court style, pulled the microphone in front of her and honestly answered with the same duty of her position.

"This is the No. 6 team in the country that we just took into overtime," Zoll said. "And, as much as you would like to think that there are moral victories, this does not go up in the win column. We let it go."

With talent, vision, communication and leadership skills beyond her years, Zoll plays the role of Coach Ryan on the court. No matter the score, Zoll barks out plays to her teammates and instructs the younger stars how to get into position. She is a player who takes serious ownership in her team and, just like her coach, knows what is going wrong.

In overtime, as the game quickly went in Maryland's favor, Zoll still was charging up and down the floor trying to score and create turnovers as if the game still was tied. On one play midway through a close second half, Zoll missed a three-pointer in the corner only to charge the length of the court to track down the loose ball and gain possession for her team.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a back-breaking or season-ending loss. But, what player or coach, especially the ones sitting in U-Hall Friday night, would want to take one of the best teams in the nation into overtime and then watch it fall apart?

The game started out with a signature quick Virginia lead but turned out to be an even battle. Not only did the two teams match each other big basket for big basket, defensive stand for defensive stand, but the referees had to check the replay monitor three times to ensure the correct call was made.

Virginia's unraveling began with the score tied at 69, when the team failed to score on a great opportunity within the final 20 seconds. In overtime, Maryland's outstanding inside game took over and clinched the game.

I am not disagreeing with Zoll and Co. that there are no such wins as moral victories. With the win, Virginia would have gained ground in the conference standings and even in the national rankings -- a big boost for a talented, young team. Instead Zoll preferred to deflect some questions to Virginia's next opponent, yesterday's game against Miami.

"I mean you obviously can't let it go, but it can't be in the forefront," Zoll said. "You have to hate the losing more than you hate anything else. We have to remember everything about this loss and carry it out. We can't change anything. It is over."

This is a sophomore player quickly moving on after a loss that would be hard for any young player to swallow.

No disrespect to the other talented Virginia players, but Zoll is a player -- tremendously overshadowed by her highly-touted male counterpart Sean Singletary -- who makes a tremendous difference on her team. Rarely in a tough loss does a player make a great impression. Yet, with the ball in the hands of Zoll, Virginia will be getting the right passes for this season and more.