Speaking of The Cav Daily

MY FRIENDS never heard me breathe a word about The Cavalier Daily before my first article was published, but it is pretty much all they have heard from me since. My first semester the paper seemed so exclusive and intimidating -- I thought about writing, but I wasn't sure I had whatever it took.

I eventually mustered the courage to go to the office only days before Winter Break and had my first Life article published a few weeks into my second semester. Seeing my name in print for the first time is when I finally felt an ownership of the paper and revealed my new extracurricular to my friends, who most likely thought I was odd for not telling them in the first place. As my involvement and obsession increased, they never asked me to stop talking about it, although I cannot imagine they actually wanted to know most of what I told them.

That year my friends heard about the glories of my position as an associate editor, with detailed and exhilarating narratives of how captions and headlines came into existence. The following term I was elected Life editor with the lovely Meghan Moran, and although I was around the apartment less frequently, I was sure to compensate for my absence with ever-more-detailed Cav Daily stories. My constant chatter then included everything from offbeat story ideas to particularly juicy incidents of what we fondly call CavDailycest to how many columnists we were trying to fit on the page. By the way, Meghan and I are responsible for bringing you Eric Cunningham ... just thought I'd throw that out there.

As the term progressed and wild nights of karaoke brought me closer to the other editors, my roommates were spared some of the old detail, but I never was able to limit my enthusiasm just to my increasing and fabulous circle of Cav Daily friends.

Next I set my sights on becoming assistant managing editor and, come January of my third year, I found myself in what is undoubtedly the best position at the paper. Nothing quite compares to gossiping about grammar, interview tips and source imbalance, but perhaps the most rewarding AME responsibility was sharing Cav Daily information with people I had never met. Answering several e-mails per week from potential writers gave me an outlet to discuss the paper with some of the most important people on Grounds: future staff members. It also gave me an unparalleled excuse to use an abundance of exclamation points in my e-mails.

Recruitment responsibilities now have been passed to my successors, so I want to take this one final opportunity to give my spiel. The Cavalier Daily has been the most rewarding aspect of my time at the University; it was my (extra and unpaid) part-time job, my sorority, my second apartment, the place I went during awkward breaks between classes, my excuse for asking strangers personal questions and so much more. If you have even the slightest curiosity about whether it might be some of those things for you, please contact my gorgeous replacements at recruit@cavalierdaily.com. No experience necessary.

As you might imagine after reading the above, the first people I want to thank are my close non-Cav Daily friends and especially the roommates I've had for the last several years. Robyn, my other half, undoubtedly tolerated the most Cav Daily chatter, ranging from my pet grammar peeves to the hilarious things Pat Harvey said and did around the office. Missy always has been there for me when I needed to vent about things I couldn't fix, and Nancy kept me grounded with insight into how the paper was perceived in the community.

Moving to Cav Daily people -- so many memories: the beach wrestling match, the women's bathroom at Northern Exposure, the podcast, Franzia pong, personification.

Pat Harvey: wow. From the super-awesome Kelly Clarkson concert review to the million other random experiences I have shared with you, you've truly become one of my best friends. Please stop hitting on my mom. Meghan Moran -- I couldn't have asked for a better co-editor, both in the office and during certain mildly sketchy walks home from Cav Daily parties.

Michelle Jamrisko and Elizabeth "E-Grande" Newell -- I have no worries leaving the AME desk in such capable hands. AMEs always should come from Life or be named Elizabeth. Miss Hannah Woolf, even though you left me to go to France, you have been one of my best friends, and I never will forget the awesomeness that is the Short Patrol. Chris Hall, I cannot think of a porn star journalist's writing to which I would rather add commas. But seriously, you are so talented, and I know you will be a great News editor. Katie Sullivan, Lauren Akselrod, Chris Wilson, Maggie, Molly, Chris Gibson, Monika, Barney ... there is no way I can adequately thank and recognize all the people who have meant so much to me over the past several years. I hope you know who you are.

Teresa and Becca and the rest of the new MB and JB, I look forward to seeing what you accomplish this term.

Last but not least, I would like to thank my family and especially my mom. Mom, of everyone you've been the most supportive and encouraging of my foray into journalism, reminding me of my accomplishments every time I felt like just another face in the crowd. I love you.