Lawn tailgates allowed, with changes

Wristbands, increased security presence, portable toilets will help maintain order, Dean Groves says

In advance of the upcoming Oct. 4 home football game against the University of Maryland, the University has once again issued a statement allowing Lawn social events, albeit with several new provisions designed to better control excessive crowds and maintain the historic Lawn community, Dean of Students Allen Groves said.
The new provisions, which reverse the tailgate ban issued following the home football game against the University of Southern California, are the result of extended discussion with Lawn and Range residents last week, Groves said. The new rules and regulations were outlined in a “Summary of Revised Procedure for Lawn and Range Resident Social Activities on Home Football Game Days,” effective Oct. 4 and provided to The Cavalier Daily via e-mail by Groves.
“University policy (contained in The Record) and applicable local and state law have long provided that alcohol is not to be consumed in public areas of the Lawn and Range residential communities (including the historic Lawn itself and alleyways), absent express prior authorization,” the summary states. It continues to explain that Lawn residents may host no more than 40 people — including themselves — in each room, that residents must remain present at their rooms, and that residents are responsible for their guests’ behavior.
These stipulations mirror the procedures in place prior to the USC game, Groves said. There are, however, additional regulations designed to better manage the large crowds that frequent the Lawn prior to home football games, he noted.
“Lawn and Range residents will be provided with specially colored wristbands prior to game day to distribute to their invited guests,” the summary states. “These wristbands will help identify who has been invited to attend that resident’s private social activity. Each Lawn and Range resident remains solely responsible for ensuring that any invited guest who is provided a wristband and served alcohol by that resident is legally permitted to consume alcohol.”
According to the summary, all alcohol provided at a Lawn or Range resident’s social event must be served inside. Alcoholic beverages may be consumed outside but may not extend past the patio space, and access to those drinks must be restricted. Furthermore, any alcohol to be served on game day must be carried to the Lawn or Range before 8 a.m. on game day.
Groves said the changes will allow residents to better manage their social events and will help the University avoid chaotic situations like those that occurred before the USC game. At that game, Groves said in an earlier interview with The Cavalier Daily, there were numerous instances of public urination and rowdiness.
“We need to move away from people thinking that the Lawn is an open bar on game day and get back to what the policy has always been: private, small social functions hosted and managed by the residents who live there,” Groves said about the new policies.
Lawn residents interviewed said, in general, they agree with the new policies and understand why changes were made. Lawn resident Davis Zaunbrecher said he is currently satisfied with the changes, noting that he “certainly hopes” the new procedures help resolve the tailgate issue.
“There isn’t ever really going to be a perfect outcome,” Zaunbrecher said. “But I can’t see another solution that would move us forward in the same way this one does.”
Lawn resident Adam Robinson said he, too, likes the changes. He noted that having wristbands should provide residents with more autonomy, allowing them to clearly distinguish who should and who should not be in attendance at a tailgate.
When tailgates were banned following the USC game, several residents and University officials said many of the problems were caused by parties other than those invited by Lawn or Range residents.
Lawn resident Thaddeus Darden, however, expressed some concern about the new policies. He said he “certainly understands the need to control crowds, and is certainly in favor of doing so,” but also said he hopes the new policy does not come across as being excessively exclusive or pretentious.
“There needs to be a balance,” Darden said. “We’re going to see how it works out ... I just don’t want the Lawn to be seen as more exclusive because of new policies.”
Groves said it is important to keep in mind that having social events and living on the Lawn is a privilege.
“The current residents of the Lawn are the trustees of that privilege, for the third-year class and all who come after them,” Groves said, noting the responsibility conveyed upon residents under the new policy to ensure compliance and maintain order.
Groves said visitors to the University and other members of the community are welcome to visit the Lawn before games, as long as they behave in a proper manner.
Visitors to the University and other members of the U.Va. community are welcome to experience the Lawn on game day,” the summary states. “However, consumption of alcohol will not be permitted in the Lawn and Range community on game days unless the person is wearing a wristband and is an invited guest of a Lawn or Range resident acting in a manner consistent with this revised procedure.”
The new policies also provide portable toilets in selected alleyways on game day, trash barrels and trash bags and an increased police/security personnel presence before games, Groves said. All of these provisions are designed to keep the Lawn looking as best it can, Groves noted.
“The Office of the Dean of Students will assist in educating the larger student body regarding this revised procedure, including collaborating with Student Council, the Inter-Fraternity Council, the Inter-Sorority Council, the Athletic Department and Alumni Hall to distribute information regarding expectations for game day social activities in the Lawn and Range residential community,” the summary states.
Groves said the revised procedure will go into effect prior to the next home football game. From that point on, it will be evaluated on a game-by-game basis and revised as needed, in consultation with residents, administrators and law enforcement officials, he said.
Editor’s note: Editor-in-chief Elizabeth Mills did not edit this article because she is a Lawn resident.