University groups screen film in an attempt to educate students about risks of heavy drinking

A number of University groups held two screenings of the documentary film “HAZE” in the Newcomb Hall Theater last night, highlighting the dangers of alcohol poisoning.

The film, set to coincide with Substance Abuse Awareness Week, was co-sponsored by Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention Team peer educators, the Inter-Fraternity Council, the Inter-Sorority Council and the University Programs Council, said Susan Bruce, director of the Center for Alcohol and Substance Education. “HAZE” was presented by the Gordie Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to Gordie Bailey, who died of alcohol poisoning related to fraternity hazing during his freshman year at the University of Colorado, according to the foundation’s Web site.

The film, produced by Bailey’s parents, “mostly tells the story of Gordie’s life and how he died,” Bruce said, noting the film includes interviews with some of Bailey’s pledge brothers and his friends from high school.

“The importance of this movie is to educate University of Virginia students about the dangers of alcohol abuse,” said ISC President Stuart Berkeley, Bailey’s high school classmate. She said the story is significant because Bailey was not a person prone to binge drinking.
“The most important fact about Gordie Bailey’s life was that he wasn’t a crazy partier,” Berkeley said. “The dangers of alcohol can touch anybody ... He was subject to the peer pressure to the extent it caused his death.”

The ultimate goal in showing the film is to educate students about the signs and symptoms of alcohol poisoning, Bruce said.

“Don’t just leave it to luck,” she said. “Make the call. You might lose a friend because you didn’t call to get help.”

Bruce noted that the film shown last night had University input due to CASE’s relationship with the Gordie Foundation. CASE previously received funding from the foundation for a conference that served as a “model of alcohol use prevention [for] athletic departments.” As a result of this established relationship, Bruce said, “we were able to have a group of 60 U.Va. students see the rough cut of the film.” The student viewers gave the director feedback, she said, some of which was incorporated into the final version shown last night.

Following the film, the sponsors held a short discussion, “a brief opportunity for students to reflect on what has been presented for them,” Bruce said. Facilitation materials were also available “if there’s a group that wants to talk about it in a more structured way,” including purchased authorization to the film so other student groups can have the opportunity to show the documentary.

While leaving the theater, students reported mixed reactions to the film’s content.

Second-year College student Miriam Kaplan said the film was not exactly what she was expecting it to be, noting that she was anticipating a more statistical approach to the consequences of binge drinking rather then a personal story.

Second-year College student Meredith Peake also noted she was surprised by the film’s story.

“I mostly thought it was going to be the kind of thing you’ve heard before, but it really forced you to think about things you sometimes try not to think about,” Peake said.

Fourth-year Engineering student Ken Ohnishi, meanwhile, noted that he does not think the film will really change the behavior of University students.

“I didn’t feel like it made a big enough of an impact,” Ohinishi said, adding that students will still be willing to take risks to have fun.

Bruce said the movie was primarily publicized in the Greek community, and viewers last night received Fraternal Organization Agreement credit for attending.