The Pulse

MC Hammer to star in A&E’s ‘Hammertime’

Following his stellar cameo in a Cash4Gold Super Bowl ad, 90s rapper and pop culture phenom, MC Hammer, is set to star in a reality show about his family life after his meteoric rise and fall as a hip-hop star. While there probably will be no comedic rants about chocolate cake, the executive producer for the show, J.D. Roth, insists that the show should be similar to an unscripted version of The Cosby Show because of the show’s focus on the MC’s role as the head of the Hammer household. A&E is set to start filming Hammer, his five kids and wife of 23 years for Hammertime next week.

—by campbell bird

Schwarzenegger becomes ‘Expendable’

California governor and action superstar Arnold Schwarzenegger is the latest big name to be attached to Sylvester Stallone’s latest directorial effort, The Expendables. The movie, set to released in 2010, will also star Stallone, Mickey Rourke, Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgren, Jet Li and the WWE’s Randy Couture as a group of mercenaries assigned to take out the dictator of a fictional South American country, played by Oscar winner Forest Whitaker. Schwarzenegger, currently facing a dire economic situation in California, will take a day off to film a scene with Stallone once shooting begins a month from now.

—by thomas lynch

Shakespeare on the Lawn channels Wilde

Don’t let the name fool you-- Shakespeare on the Lawn can’t be all Othellos, Poloniuses or Juliets. Which may be why the venerable student group is presenting their interpretation of still-hilarious, still-relevant The Importance of Being Earnest by the Irish playwright and poet Oscar Wilde. The satire proved to be one of Wilde’s most popular dramas in the 19th century and still resonates with audiences today. Tickets are on sale on the Lawn through Friday and showings are Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 8 pm, with a special showing on Saturday at 2 pm. Tickets are $3, but the memories could last forever.

—by stephanie garcia