Nothing Brand New

Paramore

The challenge for Paramore in making its third album, Brand New Eyes, was to avoid sounding like a boilerplate pop-punk band, while also reminding listeners why it was nominated for Best New Artist at the 2008 Grammy Awards on the heels of its previous album, Riot!

Perhaps my reaction to this album could be best summed up by the title of the second single off this album: "Brick By Boring Brick." The record seems to sorely lack creativity. Although most pop-punk bands aren't known for innovation and generally keep things simple with the instrumentation and vocals, Paramore takes that concept to the extreme. The listener often cannot tell the difference between many of the songs, as they all tend to make use of the same power chords in the guitar line and the same basic drum beats.

Lyrically, the album does not explore much new ground either. When the band tries to be creative on songs like "Turn It Off," it comes off as somewhat inaccessible. On many songs, lead singer Hayley Williams also seems to think she needs to scream every word, which takes away from the songs.

This album is not all bad though. Before the recording phase, the members went through a tumultuous time that almost resulted in their breakup. Those times are confronted head-on, with uncommon honesty. On "Looking Up," Williams says, "I can't believe we almost hung it up / We're just getting started." The internal dynamic of the band is explored in even more depth on the first single, "Ignorance."

The band mixes it up ever so slightly with an emotional acoustic guitar on "The Only Exception." But near the end, as Williams repeats, "You are the only exception," again and again, it just makes me want to scream, "I GET IT!"

"All I Wanted," is a nice closer, with the guitar parts trailing off to bid the listener adieu. The main guitar riff fits the longing conveyed by the lyrics. Williams tones down her voice and its true beauty is finally allowed to shine through.

Between its last two albums, the group released a single, "Decode," which appeared on the Twilight soundtrack. If you're like me and are looking for a more musically interesting sound from the band, check that song out. The main riff is reminiscent of Evanescence, with a hint of orchestral sensibility in it. The song was written exclusively for the movie and does a good job of conveying the tension surrounding its two main characters. The song also features a nice solo slightly after the two-minute mark.

So although Brand New Eyes has some good points, the catchiness that characterized the band's past albums is gone, leaving a collection of songs that all sound similar and none of which are particularly impressive.