Compromising the academic mission

Suspending the Spanish minor will have long-term repercussions for the University

I imagine an America where no one can communicate with one another. We cross the borders of every state and not only are they speaking a different language, but they look different than you as well. Believe it or not, this fate is becoming a reality as we enter into an America that must learn another language in order to keep up with that language's constant growth. This is the language that most of us have had to learn since we were in elementary school - the language of our closest neighbors: Spanish.

Last year, two searches for additional faculty for the Spanish department were cancelled due to the lack of resources, and this lack of faculty ultimately resulted in the suspension of the Spanish minor. The reasoning behind the - hopefully temporary - removal of the minor as stated by the "Moratorium on Spanish Minor Declaration" is "because minors compete for courses with majors who need the courses to graduate. Doing a minor is an enriching option for many students, but no one needs a minor to graduate." According to Mar