Misuse of politics

Congressional interference in college football policy would be unnecessary and a distraction from real issues

The Bowl Championship Series in college football has become something of a problem. It has been called unfair. It was established in 1998 and initially was effective in getting small-market schools national exposure. Today, the system basically excludes small-market colleges from making it to the BCS championship game as well as other large-market schools who feel they deserve a shot at the BCS championship. Last season, the Utah Utes took down Southeastern Conference powerhouse Alabama in the Sugar Bowl to become the only team in Division I to end the season undefeated. Utah has actually ended two seasons undefeated without the chance to become the BCS National champion.

The BCS system is definitely flawed and could use some major improvements. For example, the current system could determine the top 8 teams and have the bowl winners play each other in a playoff-like fashion. Also, the system could change how heavily certain factors play into determining what makes a team better than another. Perhaps President Barack Obama sparked the debate with his outspokenness against the BCS system. However, some schools' discontent with the system is going a little too far. They are calling for United States congressional interference in the matter. Although the system does need to change, it should not be Congress's responsibility to make that happen.

To say Congress has more pressing issues is an understatement. Clearly, there are economic issues that need to be resolved as well as gay rights issues. Not only does Congress have more important business, correcting college football policy is not exactly an implied or stated power of Congress. The idea to involve the government is based on the idea that the BCS could be violating federal antitrust laws. These laws were primarily put in place to prevent monopolies and unfair competitive practices. Smaller schools are financially threatened by the BCS because they don't stand to make as much money from their football programs. But why does the football program draw out complaints, and other departments do not? That is, if these schools don't cry antitrust surrounding educational funds then they shouldn't cry antitrust about the football program. Our University draws in significantly more money than Radford University, for example. Yet, Radford isn't involving Congress to make sure that the University doesn't monopolize Virginia's public schools. The BCS should be thought of no differently. Congressional involvement is just not needed.

If the BCS is unfair, then people have a right to call for change. However, Congress has no authority or the proper knowledge to change the BCS system. Who's to say that congressmen are knowledgeable enough about ranking systems and football to propose changes that will improve the system? I am sure the United States government is not ready to create a special committee dedicated to college football. Time and effort should probably be spent on policy concerning the economy or research that would be more vital to society. American tax dollars can be spent on better policy than college football.

In addition, at its most basic level, the BCS is a computer. Congress is not going to step in to retool a computer system. The current system has defects, but it's hard to see that they are necessarily intentional. If the creator of the BCS created a glitch in which his favorite team would always be top ten, it would be easy to blame him for the faults in the system. It is hard to see something like that with the BCS. The programmers aren't necessarily to blame, because it is the coaches coalition that complies with the BCS. Congress would have a hard time pinpointing wrongdoing when the blame is going to be put on a computer system. The real problem is with the National Collegiate Athletic Association. The NCAA doesn't even recognize a national champion in college football. Therefore, problems with the system need to be taken up with them. Once the NCAA decides to recognize a real champion, the BCS will lose its clout. Considering all these football programs are a part of the larger NCAA, it is beyond time for them to step in and take responsibility for the direction of the football playoff system, not Congress.

Flawed at best, it is time for a change in the BCS. Easy schedule or not, undefeated teams should have the opportunity to prove if they are worthy of a national championship. Undoubtedly, at the end of the season, there are plenty of teams deserving of a chance to play for a BCS championship. However, the BCS has not violated the United States Constitution. Congressional interference is unnecessary. Congressmen need to focus on protecting the Constitution and American citizens and not on regulating college football policy. Blame should be given where blame is due, and that is to the NCAA.

Tiffany Morris' column appears Mondays in The Cavalier Daily. She can be reached at t.morris@cavalierdaily.com.