No. 4 Virginia scores 20 against Hokies, wins fifth straight game

Having passed through a grueling, four-game week, the No. 4 Virginia women's lacrosse team brought a high offensive intensity to its matchup against ACC-rival Virginia Tech yesterday afternoon, downing the Hokies by a score of 20-14 for the Cavaliers' fifth consecutive victory.

A total of eight Cavaliers contributed offensively en route to the their second 20-goal game during just a one-week span. Several players had career days in Blacksburg. Senior midfielder Caity Whiteley led the Virginia attack with a career-high five goals, while sophomore attack Josie Owen racked up nine points, collected five groundballs, won five draws and forced three turnovers.\nWith the win, the Cavaliers (11-3) have improved their conference record to 4-1 and secured a second place finish in the ACC. To get to that point, the Virginia squad defeated Boston College, Duke and North Carolina before yesterday's matchup. From this lofty standing, the Cavaliers will look to continue their conference winning streak in the ACC Tournament, which begins two weeks from today in College Park, Md.

Before then, however, Virginia will return home to face George Mason next Tuesday in the final home game of the regular season.

-compiled by Stacy Kruczkowski