Field hockey opens year with two wins

The third-ranked Virginia field hockey team kicked off its season with a 4-0 win against St. Joseph's Saturday and a 3-0 win against No. 18 Penn State Sunday.

Virginia won big against St. Joseph's, taking nearly four times as many shots as the Hawks - going 34-9 - and earning a 13-5 advantage on penalty corners. Of these shots, junior preseason All-ACC midfielder Paige Selenski was able to find the back of the cage twice for the Cavaliers. Selenski scored her first goal just 2 minutes and 19 seconds into the match for the early lead and was followed by freshmen forward Elly Buckley and midfielder Liza Blue for their first career goals.

Virginia was just as convincing against Penn State, roaring to a 2-0 lead during the first 23 minutes with goals by Buckley and junior preseason All-ACC midfielder Michelle Vittese in the 23rd and 13th minutes, respectively. The Cavaliers again dominated on shots, taking 12 to the Nittany Lions' three, while earning a 6-1 advantage on penalty corners during the first half. Selenski added one more goal in the 36th minute to seal the victory for Virginia and rack up three scores for the weekend.

Virginia opens up its home schedule with Old Dominion next Sunday at 1 p.m.

-compiled by Allen Kha