Before you boo

You know the Virginia football team finished 3-9 last season, and that seems to be all you need to know.

You know the plays they made - or more likely, did not make - on the field last year, but what do you know about the Cavaliers off the field?

It's possible you remember senior tight end Joe Torchia's touchdown catch in a forgettable loss to Duke. But did you realize that Torchia is a volunteer firefighter and coached 9- to 10-year-old CYO basketball teams? Probably not, unless you happened to hunt through the 2010 football spring media guide.

Why should you know? Because learning about players humanizes them. It makes them easier to root for and significantly harder to root against.

When senior quarterback Marc Verica inevitably throws a boneheaded interception, you are less likely to scream, "You're so freaking stupid!" if you know Marc was a member of the National Honor Society. Same applies to Oday Aboushi, Isaac Cain, Kevin Harrington, John Maghamez, Brian Oden, Ryan Shaw, Billy Skrobacz, Eric Thornton and Torchia, who took academics so seriously that he made daily 100-mile round trips to attend the prestigious Queen of Peace High School.

Before you ridicule the Cavaliers for their ineptitude, remember that they are more athletic than you - and not just in football. The vast majority were at least two-sport stars in high school. Junior linebacker Jared Detrick played professional basketball in Europe. Sophomore defensive back LoVante Battle was an all-state track standout.

Before berating players, remember they have families that could be crushed by your insults. The odds are good that if you verbally abuse Aboushi, one of his nine siblings will hear you. Also remember the genes these players boast. Junior cornerback Chase Minnifield's father was a Pro Bowl cornerback with the Cleveland Browns. Junior wide receiver Jared Green recently gave his father's induction speech to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Before cussing a player as scum, remember that many devote their time to doing good. Sophomore place kicker Drew Jarrett worked at a summer camp for autistic children, while redshirt freshman center Collin Lundgren volunteered at a children's wheelchair camp. Sophomore punter Logan Spangler has worked with the Salvation Army and junior place kicker Robert Randolph has done mission work in Mexico.

From the stands, it is easy to expect perfection from players. Remember, however, that these 20-year-olds are not that different from you. They are just guys like senior guard B.J. Cabbell, who enjoys remodeling cars and refinishing furniture. They are guys like senior cornerback Mike Parker, who likes to bowl, and sophomore offensive tackle Matt Mihalik, who plays the drums.

Finally, remember that Virginia's new football coach Mike London earned a degree in law enforcement from the Richmond Policy Academy. London worked five years as a detective in the street crimes unit, so if you do anything dumb, he will find you.

Let's hope, however, he won't need to come looking. With London at the helm, maybe you won't need these reasons not to boo. Maybe this team of perfectly human athletes will meet our superhuman expectations.