Early admissions redux

Early action programs do not avoid the fairness problems associated with early decision

The University ended its binding early decision admissions program September 2006 following national controversy that early admissions programs favor economically advantaged students. Following the example set by Harvard and Princeton Universities, this school chose to end early decision to level the playing field and extend accessibility to lower-income students. Four years later, the Board of Visitors signaled the start of a new non-binding early action program effective fall 2011. Though the new early action program is non-binding - meaning lower-income families will be able to weigh financial aid packages before making a commitment - the early action program will likely favor economically advantaged students - just as early decision did.

Under the new non-binding early action program, applicants for fall 2011 will submit applications by the Nov. 1 deadline and receive an admission decision by Jan. 31. Those admitted will have until May 1 to decide whether to attend the University and can apply to other schools.

While early action has its merits - specifically attracting highly qualified applicants - it remains a discriminatory practice that favors the wealthy and well-informed. If we view the admissions process as a competition, low-income students already lag behind their more affluent peers - whether it be in terms of quality of education, access to resources or general college guidance. Despite these apparent inequalities in secondary education, high school students from all backgrounds must vie for admission based on GPAs, SAT test scores, essays and extracurricular activities. Just as in a sports match, those who can afford to buy the expensive equipment, practice spaces and more qualified trainers will have a competitive advantage over those who cannot. Likewise, students who can afford costly SAT classes, college counselors and college guidance materials will have a competitive edge over others in the early admissions process.

In this vein, students who take advantage of early admissions programs are typically affluent and come from schools with better counseling services and more readily available admissions information. University statistics from 2000 to 2006 showed that the majority of students who applied through the early decision program were wealthy, which is consistent with the national trend. To improve their chances of admission, many low-income students will forgo early admission to strengthen their SAT scores and GPAs during their fall semester senior year.

John Blackburn, former dean of undergraduate admissions, in 2006 said, "While our staff had discussed the pros and cons of eliminating early decision or moving to an early action plan that is not binding, the reality of how few low-income students apply for any early plans really was compelling for me." Though the early action program is experimental, it is a variant of early decision and still promises to attract the affluent, who typically attend schools with better resources and opportunities - such as Advanced Placement classes, SAT prep courses and full-time college counselors.

Former University President John T. Casteen, III said the University hoped the decision to end early decision programs in 2006 would "remove an identified barrier to qualified low-income students and their families who have long believed that top-tier universities were not within their reach." At the time, Casteen said, "The reasons are several, but in the end the effect of early decision nationally and here in Virginia appears to be that the opportunity that early decision has represented has come somehow to be the property of our most advantaged applicants rather than the common property of all applicants." The University received national recognition for its commitment to equal opportunity in education that year. Our institution also led its peer institutions by providing fair admissions despite potential hardships caused by offering a single admissions program.

As a direct result of the current financial climate and increased competition for applicants, the University has turned against its ideals and once again accepted a policy that advantages the already advantaged. Although lower-income students can now apply through the early action admission program and still weigh financial aid packages, national statistics suggest that many low-income students will not take opportunity of early admission programs, meaning that applicant pool is still being left behind.

There is no doubt that the national financial landscape has changed the face of college admissions, posing a significant challenge to admissions officials. Students are no longer the only ones nervously anticipating admissions decisions. Now, colleges must also face increased uncertainty about whether students will choose their school or go for a more financially competitive option.

Even though early action has its benefits for both the school and the applicant, these benefits are not equally accessible to students of all income brackets. Consequently, the system is not egalitarian. In the face of challenging economic pressures, the University should apply innovative methods to capture prospective applicants rather than pursuing policy that promises to favor the already advantaged.

Ashley Chappo's column appears Fridays in The Cavalier Daily. She can be reached at a.chappo@cavalierdaily.com.