Living the DREAM

The University should endorse the DREAM Act

DURING the past several months, America's immigration battle has focused on the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act. The legislation, first introduced to the U.S. Senate in 2001, would provide certain undocumented students the opportunity to attend a U.S. college or enlist in the military. On Grounds, the Dare to DREAM Campaign has gained momentum and has been endorsed by Student Council, the Latino Student Alliance and the Living Wage Campaign. In light of such notable student support, University President Teresa A. Sullivan and the Board of Visitors should seriously consider endorsing the DREAM Act, as well.

The DREAM Act specifically would afford undocumented students of "good moral character" the opportunity to receive temporary residency for six years to attend college or to enlist in the U.S. military. After completing two years of study at a four-year university or serving two years in the U.S. military, the undocumented immigrant will be eligible for permanent residency. The DREAM Act specifically applies to undocumented individuals who came to the United States before the age of 16 and who have lived in the country for at least five consecutive years. To qualify, an individual must be between the ages of 12 and 35 at the time of application and must have graduated from a U.S. high school, obtained a GED or been admitted into an American college or university.

American colleges, and specifically the University, must stand at the forefront of immigration reform advocacy. After all, the DREAM Act will not only aid undocumented immigrant students who have been living in the United States, but will also holistically benefit the country. Historically, universities have been on the frontlines of national political reform, often spearheading the passage of controversial bills. In the past, individuals of minority groups including women, African-Americans and certain religions have been denied educational opportunities. Each time, national universities have said "no" to discrimination and stood at the crest of the political reform.

Obviously, a university must thoroughly evaluate all sides of an issue and assess possible implications before issuing any endorsement. A university should only consider such an endorsement if there is enough community support and if the legislation promises to equalize educational opportunities. The University should therefore endorse the DREAM Act because it has already received sizable student support both at the University and across the nation. In fact, the University's Latino Student Alliance received more than 2,600 signatures in a week for its Dare to Dream petition. Moreover, the DREAM Act guarantees all qualified candidates access to higher education - regardless of financial and immigrant status. Elsewhere, the DREAM Act has been backed by Harvard President Drew Gilpin Faust and University of Pennsylvania President Amy Gutmann, among others. Just as a student should not be evaluated based on his gender, ethnicity, race or religion, he also should not be judged by his immigration status.

Many undocumented students have overcome overwhelming barriers to become honor students, student leaders, star athletes and contributing members of their high schools. For all these undocumented students, the United States is the only home they have ever known. They came to America as children and live with the consequences of their parents' decisions. Rather than turning away their talents, we must give these bright and hardworking students the opportunity to contribute to American society by serving in the U.S. military or by becoming professionals. In a struggling economy, educating the undocumented individuals living in this country can only reduce the financial burden of undocumented immigration.

Opponents to the DREAM Act contend that U.S. taxpayers would foot the bill to educate eligible undocumented immigrants under the DREAM Act. They further assert that undocumented immigrants do not pay the complete range of taxes and thus should not be eligible for financial aid to attend universities across the nation. But the DREAM Act would confront this issue by putting undocumented immigrants already in the United States on the path to full citizenship. The DREAM Act allows undocumented individuals who have already lived in the country for a period of more than five years to educate themselves so they can more fully contribute to America's future by educating these individuals and hence bolstering their future employment prospects. Denying undocumented students the ability to attend colleges and universities across the nation does nothing to solve America's immigration problems. Rather, it only promises to further impoverish a segment of the population - adding to the overall cost of criminal justice, social and health care services.

Although the actual size of the undocumented immigrant population is unknown, current estimates range from as low as 7 million to as high as 20 million. There were over 13 million undocumented immigrants residing in the United States as of 2007, according to the Federation for American Immigration Reform. The DREAM Act would put as many as 2.1 million of these individuals on the road to citizenry so they can begin paying their share of American taxes and appease nay-sayers.

Every year, 3 million students graduate from high schools across America with hopes of pursing the "American dream." Currently, 65,000 high school graduates are denied the opportunity to continue their education and brighten their futures because of their immigration status, but one's immigration status should not limit his right to an education. The University, Sullivan and the Board of Visitors must take a courageous stand to open the door to millions of America's undocumented immigrants by formally supporting the DREAM Act.

Ashley Chappo's column appears Fridays in The Cavalier Daily. She can be reached at a.chappo@cavalierdaily.com.