Honor drafts guidelines

Committee hopes to facilitate debate during deliberation, creates resource

The Honor Committee met last night to discuss methods to encourage jury discussion during verdict deliberation, as outlined in a working guide for trial chairs titled "Best Practices for Jury Facilitation."

The document consists of several practices trial chairs have implemented in the past to achieve more involved and productive debate.

The Committee, however, focused its attention on a method called "straw polling," in which trial chairs call on jurors one-by-one to vocalize their informal verdict during deliberations prior to a formal vote.

Medical School Representative Weldon Diana urged the Committee to consider whether it wanted to include a method he likened to a "pressure technique" within such a cursory guide.

"If we were to go that route, I think we should have something structured," he said.

Committee Chair Charles Harris emphasized that the guide is still in its beginning stages and described it as a "tool box rather than a manual" for trial chairs to use.

Harris also doubted that implementing the practice would pressure other jurors in making a final decision.

"When it does come [time] to vote, people are making very personal, independent decisions," Harris said, adding that he believes jurors realize their decision is not one they should make in haste or due to peer pressure.

Vice Chair for Investigations Page Dunbar said she has found the method unpopular among jurors. Dunbar added that she believes it to be an excessive addition, as the "Presentation of Sides" portion of jury deliberation already provides an institutionalized alternative to straw polling.

"It's very easy for a person to claim [another] argument even if it's not theirs. Everyone has an opportunity to discuss those," she argued. "Straw polling isn't necessary to do that, and it could put undue pressure on an individual."\nHarris said the Committee will continue to edit and revise the guide in coming weeks.