First year 15?

Students maintain healthy lifestyles

Any student who has dragged himself out of bed before 9 a.m. on a Saturday probably has heard some strange noises on his way to breakfast: panting and heaving and the slap of shoes on the sidewalk. These noises come from people called "runners," whose grudge against pudge makes them wake up at unheard-of hours and subject their bodies to painful rituals.

This breed of student is so prevalent on Grounds, in fact, that Newsweek named the University "Hottest for Fitness" in 2004. Although seven years have passed since this title was granted, Kelly Bernier, director of fitness and instruction for Intramural-Recreational Sports, said it still rings true, since the variety of fitness programming offered by the University has continued to grow.

"We have over 87 percent of the students on Grounds participating in something at one of the indoor facilities," said Jill Krantz, assistant athletics director for intramurals. "That's a great number, and it doesn't even count people who maybe do something outdoors on their own or in the outdoor rec program."

Given the apparent fitness of its students, one may wonder whether the University has a "first-year 15."

Melanie Brede, a registered dietician in the office of health promotion, said the idea of a "freshman 15" - the infamous 15 pounds gained during one's first year of college because of new eating habits, drinking and other factors - is exaggerated.

"There's research that's nationally done that says the average weight gain is actually less than five pounds," she said.

First-year College student Ashley Ferraro said she has not experienced a first-year 15.

"I actually lost weight because of the dining halls, because I don't like eating there," she said.

Ferraro added she had noticed exercise playing a large role in the lifestyles of many students.

"You always see people running around, and the gym is always pretty crowded," she said. "One of my friends told me that if she has a choice between going to the gym for two hours and doing homework, typically she'll choose the gym."

Thomas Jefferson himself recommended two hours of activity a day, saying, "A strong body makes the mind strong."

"We're very happy the founder of the University found exercise and health and wellness to be so important that he'd make such a statement," said Amanda Moore, facility director of the Aquatic and Fitness Center. "Research over time has shown, yes, physical activity does improve brain function."

But Brede cautioned against a literal interpretation of Jefferson's quote, saying it endorsed an active lifestyle rather than "two hours on the StairMaster."

"In general, exercise and healthy eating are on the minds of students," Brede said. "For the most part that's positive. There are some concerns that perhaps fitness becomes an obsession for some."

This week is Celebrate Every Body Week, a set of programs sponsored by the U.Va. Coalition on Eating Disorders and Exercise Concerns and Hoos Open to Preventing Eating Disorders, which seeks to address these types of concerns. The week-long series of events runs concurrently with National Eating Disorders Awareness Week.

"We are trying to promote positive body image and connect people to resources related to eating disorders and exercise concerns," Brede said.

Brede said one of the week's most visible events is a jeans exchange, during which participants will trade too-tight jeans for a free T-shirt. The exchange will take place in Newcomb from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. through Friday.

"The idea is to get rid of the skinny jeans you might use as a measuring stick to change your weight," she said.

Instead Brede suggested mindful eating and moderate exercise as components of a healthy lifestyle.

"One of the things we promote in our office is intuitive eating, which is essentially saying, pay attention to when you're hungry and when you're full," she said. "With exercise, it's important to be active most days of the week, but exercise should be just one part of your day."

Whether students are concerned about college weight gain or not, there are many ways for them to maintain a positive self-image and stay healthy on Grounds. Bernier encouraged students to get involved with the fitness opportunities the University offers.

"Chances are, there's something we offer for everybody," she said.