Putting the

It's possible most students at the University have used an iClicker at least once during their time here. The compact electronic pieces of white plastic are used in many disciplines, from anthropology to physics and psychology to the Nursing School. Many professors use them for grading, while others simply use them to keep track of attendance. I, however, would argue that they can serve a deeper, more philosophical purpose.

Just last week, I had somewhat of a grand epiphany during my physics class. I was meticulously working on homework for another class, diligent student that I am, when I suddenly heard the sound of a hundred backpacks being unzipped simultaneously. Classmates on all sides were pulling out the small, white iClickers. I quickly fumbled to retrieve mine and glanced at the question on the board.

It was simple. I knew the solution before my eyes even reached the choices. I knew that my professor used the results purely for attendance statistics, but I still felt a wave of relief sweep over me. For anyone who hasn't used an iClicker in class, the professor presses a magical button and the amount of people who have "clicked" in their answer is displayed on the screen. It obviously starts at zero, but almost instantaneously jumps up, usually at around 10 at a time.

Students all around me chose their answer and returned to their conversations or computers. I could see nine people using Facebook, and could only assume the others were shopping or "stumbling" online as the total number on-screen was rising with less and less vigor.

I knew the solution, so why hadn't I clicked in my answer? I sat in silence, intently focused on the number of clicks on the board as it rose by one or two every few seconds. The professor announced that our time to respond was nearly up, and he began to count down.

With three seconds to go, I still hadn't answered. The total number had remained constant for a few seconds, so I knew I had found the right time. I registered my answer as soon as the professor announced there was one second remaining. My answer brought the number of votes up to its final tally, and time was up.

I don't recall hearing the correct answer and explanation. I was already too focused on explaining to myself what had just happened. I'm the first to admit that I overthink some situations, but this one was plaguing my mind more than usual. There are a number of rational explanations for why I waited until the last possible second to cast my vote. It isn't my general nature to walk on the wild side, so I wouldn't simply chalk it up to an act of rebellion.

Racking my brain, I came up with a typically profound meaning behind my actions. I realized I was simply searching for meaning. I come from a very small town, and I guess I'm used to seeing my actions make at least tiny ripples on the community around me. I now find myself part of the much larger university community, however. For me and for many of us, it's easy at times to feel as though our individual contributions to the community are marginalized.

I guess I was looking for a little sense of justification that day in class. As students all around me added their clicks to the expanding electronic pile of answers, I needed to feel as though my number mattered. Had I used the clicker early as the number jumped quickly from zero to about 30, my individual answer certainly would have been lost in the shuffle.

No, I needed proof. As petty as it may seem, and I realize the silliness of this explanation, I needed evidence that my action, no matter how insignificant, was making a difference in some way.

And to be honest, I did feel a sense of satisfaction and excitement when I clicked my iClicker button and noticed a change in the number on the screen.

I can assure you I don't spend hours analyzing every trivial decision I make during the day. This is certainly one of my more random thought tangents, but I believe it is noteworthy because it is a pretty universal concept, especially when I can't be alone in occasionally feeling like a tiny fish in an enormous pond.

For those who have been in my shoes, I say it's OK to seize opportunities like I did. We need to occasionally be reminded that the world would be a different place in our absence. It's important to know we are making a difference in our environment, even if only in small ways. I learned a lesson more important than any formula or concept that day in physics.

I certainly never will look at my iClicker the same.

Tyler's column runs biweekly Mondays. He can be reached at t.deboard@cavalierdaily.com.